Triton electric show stopped working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a triton jade shower which is 5 years old
I has stopped working when i pull down on the cord there is no light, but when i turn the shower on the light comes on, on the cord. But there is nothing no sound or water.

Could it be a cord problem or shower

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
is there a light on the ceiling switch? when if ever does it come on?

how old is it?

any signs of overheating at shower or switch or consumer unit?

have you been using the ceiling switch to turn the shower on/off when the shower itself is switched on?

how old is the electrical installation (a) in your house (b) to the shower?

What is the power rating of the shower?

What is the power rating of the fuse or MCB?

Photos are always helpful - see //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=129539

No sign of overheating anywhere light does come on at cord when button on shower is pressed
I have turned shower on with cord but by accident and not very often

Sponsored Links
if the light on the cord switch goes off under load, it is probably a burnt or poor connection at the ceiling switch. This is quite common as the electrical loading is very high. I would start by examining the contacts at the ceiling switch. Quite likely you will find the brass terminals are scorched or melted, the copper wire is brown and the insulation is partially melted. All the heat damaged part has to be replaced. The difficult part is that you have to cut away the heat damaged cable, and you may then find it no longer reaches, in which case an electrician will be needed because the tool required to crimp on a new length, properly, is fairly expensive and takes practice to learn to use, so is not worth buying if you will only need it once.

A new pull-cord switch will probably cost in the region of £10-£20 depending on quality and supplier. MK, Crabtree and MEM are good quality makers. It is essential to do up the connections very tight, using the exact size screwdriver with an undamaged tip, and to re-tighten them after a week or two, as the soft copper cable squashes down after time. Loose connections lead to overheating which is the usual cause of the problem you have seen.

Get a 45Amp or 50Amp switch which has the biggest contacts.

You did not mention the power ratings.

Without photos and descriptions I cannot judge if the rest of the installation is satisfactory or if additional work will be required. The current standard is for electric showers to be protected by an RCD which gives additional protection against electric shock, which can be severe in a wet bathroom.

Your fault might not be at the switch, but this is the most common cause.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back