Quiet Alarm Wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking for an alarm, but I don't want it to be alarming to neighbours if it goes off, any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Bob you have not understood. Alarms are supposed to 'raise the alarm' ie to get someone authorised to immediately investigate, then reset the alarm if alarm false. However every alarm in my road just rings and no-one investigates since as they are not key holders they are powerless to do anything.

Hence my request for an alarm that is not alarming to neighbours. Making their lives a misery for false alarms is not something I wish to inflict. Bob, do you feel it is OK to harm the wellbeing of others with noise polution?

Thanks for that idea Bernard, it sounds fine to me.

Bob you need to work on your 'thanked count'.

Sponsored Links
What do you expect to happen when the 'phone line goes down?

Another way of loking at it , have a big' foxtrot oscar ' sound bomb INDOORS and set the outside bell time to minimum time This way should you be unfortunate enough to have an intruder they will not hang around to see if the old bill or an axe wielding well intentioned neighbour appears whilst a 120 db sound bomb is grabbing all their attention
Burglars dont like noise !!!

Get a properly designed and installed alarm and you won't have false alarms with it.

Ahhh common sence leaps up.
Well designed "professional " system meets the above needs.

Or buy cheap tat, the bell may not work thus giving a "silent" alarm :D

I am looking for an alarm, but I don't want it to be alarming to neighbours if it goes off, any suggestions?

A Yale 6400 alarm will alarm internally so you will know if intruders break in and call you on your mobile phone to let you know it has gone off.
You don't have to program the siren in and it comes with a dummy box as an extra anyway.

Why worry about your neighbours?

It seems to me that you all need to get your heads together and discuss why there are so many false alarms and why noone takes any notice.

There seems little point having any alarm at all silent or otherwise unless you develop some community spirit on your street.
Myself and my neighbours always check each others alarms if they go off.
Worst case scenario is you have missed a bit of TV and best case is that you get to chat with your neighbours and also reaffirm that they would also do the same for you . . which they do.

Myself and my neighbours always check each others alarms if they go off.
Suggest you rephrase this, you're telling us that your alarm goes off.

Didn't think those DiY things of yours did that.

false alarm rates for intruder alarm systems fitted in accordance with the requirements of PD6662 and EN50131 by registered installers have decreased by 41% since the introduction of the new regulations!

thats from the ABI and ACPO, (and not just for London either)

but there are no documented information for DIY systems?

i wonder why?

Oasis

you could install an alarm system to your property with an automatic speech dialler with a GSM back up and have a decoy (dummy) sounder unit outside with flashing LED`s on it.

but fit an internal siren in the loft or somewere so you know its gone off!!

Oasis

you aren't serious

no-one collects stats for DIY systems, and there will not be many stats for bell-only professional ones either.

There will be stats for bells only pro systems on a contract.

Before you open mouth engage brain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back