How do i wire these 2 lights (HELP)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Really in need of some help, just hoping this picture works. I have an outside light, that requires a feed from an internal light, but cannot work out how to do it.

I have a live, neutral and earth from the inside light to the switch, but only a RED and EARTH wire coming from the outside light, not sure how to wire it as the outside light needs a neutral?

wiring_help.jpg

MANY THANKS

Sponsored Links
as you said you need a neutral for the outside light.

who wired and any idea why the neutral isnt there?

it may also (but unlikely) the neutral is already connected

x60rsa said:
Really in need of some help, just hoping this picture works. I have an outside light, that requires a feed from an internal light, but cannot work out how to do it.
Look at the diagrams of lighting circuits in the For Reference topic...

I have a live, neutral and earth from the inside light to the switch
No you don't, you have a permanent live and a switched live.

but only a RED and EARTH wire coming from the outside light, not sure how to wire it as the outside light needs a neutral?
Your existing cable goes red -> Com, black ->L1. You need to link the two COMs with a short piece of red, and connect the red from the outside light to the other L1. Both earths should be connected to the earth terminal in the box. If it's a metal switch you should also have an earth wire between the earth terminal on that, and the earth terminal in the box.

Finally, you need to get access to the lighting circuit cable, and run a neutral connection from there (e.g. from the ceiling rose of the interior light) to the neutral of the outside light. Whoever installed that, BTW, needs a slap.

Thanks for peoples help on this but i really do not undestand the electrical terms used eg COM, L1 etc!

Could someone please try and make this more simple for me please....

Your existing cable goes red -> Com, black ->L1. You need to link the two COMs with a short piece of red, and connect the red from the outside light to the other L1. Both earths should be connected to the earth terminal in the box. If it's a metal switch you should also have an earth wire between the earth terminal on that, and the earth terminal in the box.

My existing cable goes red??
->Com, black ->L1

Link the TWO COM's which are these?

PLease can someone help me, i have looked at an instruction leaflet that came with the switch but still no go, i turn on the lights and the fuse just blows!

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
On the back of the switch there are 2 comm terminals, one for one side one for the other. It is being suggested that you place a short link of any colour you like , but red would be sensible, between them, so they are
both feed from the red that comes in with the black.

So red + black go to one of the 2 switches, and the other switch nicks a live from the first one, and then goes onto the red on its own.

Any chance of a photo, and/or a detailed description of what happens at the other ends of the wires -= i.e. at the fittings they feed - it may not be as simple as first thought.

wiring_helpppp.jpg

I just wired it up like this, the grey dashed line = the linked piece as suggest but am i wiring it the incorrect way, god im useless....as the fuse went BANG again!

It was wired up with a linked piece on the old switch i had, but forgot to check how it was done before removing it.[/img]

OK, If the suggestion was correct, while what you have done would not have allowed the outside light to be switched, as the link goes straight to the wire going out, not through the swirtch, but this should not have blown anything, just the light would be on all the time...
So, it is not wired as we think. :cry:
We need to identify the other ends of these wires and see what has been done, as it must be more than a bit non-standard - it is possible for example, but horrible, that the bare 'earth core' is actually being mis-used, on one side or the other, or both, as as switched live core. :eek:
Can you open the 2 fittings that are affected, and describe what is there please.

While it could never work the way you want it to with wiring it like in the diagram, I cannot see why it went bang, unless there is a damaged cable or the red and black in the T&E are actually live and neutral, but if thats the case then there is either another wire for switched live thats missed off the digram, or the earth is actually the switched live (which is a bad thing).

Can you draw us a diagram of the ceiling rose please, and also the wiring in the outside light

EDIT: looks like map beat me to it

It went BANG because the switch is across the feed.
To the switch you have a live, a neutral and a cpc (earth)

Connect only the incoming red to the switch terminals.
The neutral and cpc must be screwed into a terminal block.
Then wire the red (outgoing live) to the L1 terminal and the outgoing cpc to the terminal block.
You will need to provide another wire for your neutral to the light

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back