Foam backed wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have found some of this in a house I am restoring. After taking off the top layer of wallpaper - there is this foam, and then I am guessing the paper that this sits on.

Getting the top layer off is no problem. Get the foam a little trickier - but the real pain in the arse is getting the bottom layer off that seems to be glued to the wall.

Question. How can I get this bottom layer off? I tried using WD40 just to see whether it would dissole the glue - it did - but wasn't perfect - and I certainly don't want to have to use 100 cans of it.

Any ideas? Rgds.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like one of two things to me

The 'foam backing' could be expanded polysterne used for insulating cold walls....in which case i would dry scrape them.

The glue you mentioned could be special adhesive used for dammp walls...its a pig to shift im affriad.

Or the 'backing' isnt a back as such but possibly a case of the previous decorators papering over the top of Novamura.....the 'popular' wallpaper of the late seventies (more commonly known to decorators as..'that cr*ap)....again try dry stripping but it may only come off in small pieces.

I have never heard of a foam backed finish paper.

Have just been through the same experience. Wood chip paper covered in gloss on top of polystyrene, stuck down with what looks like artex or tile adhesive. Just used a scraper to remove the foam. I found that a steam stripper was the best thing for the adhesive, followed by washing with soapy water a couple of times, followed by sanding. Took a little over a week to strip 1 bedroom. The annoying thing is there isn't much wrong with the underlying walls to warrrant wood chip. The stuff should be banned imo.

The worst part is the whole house is the same.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back