DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Building over Sewer Pipes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Building Regulations and Planning Permission
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
bars03

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:30 pm Reply with quote

Hi

I am looking at building a conservatory to the rear of my terraced house. This will involve building a full height wall to the neighbours side and a dwarf wall for the rest. I have the problem of Sewer pipes (foul and water) running under the proposed build sight (approx 4.5m under surface) and an inspection cover.

I was just wondering on a couple of things.

Would either or both building regulations and water authority approval be required when building the foundations over the sewer pipes?

When building the foundations. I understand in these situations that I would have to set the foundations from the invert of the sewer pipes. What gap is recommended between the pipes and concrete footings? I assume packing the gap with sand is ok before placing the lintel over the pipes.

In regards to the inspection cover has anyone had experience where they have been given permission to close off the hatch completely? I was just wondering how likely this would be. I would prefer that there isn't a hatch within the conservatory but if I can't close it off, I will just build it up as I would envisage moving the hacth would be an expensive job.

Cheers Login to view this image Login to view this image
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
Richard C

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:32 pm Reply with quote

bars03 wrote:

I have the problem of Sewer pipes (foul and water) running under the proposed build sight (approx 4.5m under surface) and an inspection cover.

Just a little confused as you say ďfoul & waterĒ pipes; but both pictures appear to be the same & show what looks like the foul drain, is there another drain run?
bars03 wrote:

Would either or both building regulations and water authority approval be required when building the foundations over the sewer pipes?

Is this your own property? If itís a private sewer on private property (you need to check) then itís yours (& your neighbours) responsibility & your LWA wonít be interested, they will only be concerned about what you discharge into it. Conservatories are exempt from Building Regs. so your LABC wont be concerned either but you should certainly ensure what you do as far as the foul drain is concerned meets Building Regs.

bars03 wrote:

When building the foundations. I understand in these situations that I would have to set the foundations from the invert of the sewer pipes. What gap is recommended between the pipes and concrete footings? I assume packing the gap with sand is ok before placing the lintel over the pipes.

You will find all you need to know in Part H of the Building Regs here:
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADH_2002.pdf

bars03 wrote:

In regards to the inspection cover has anyone had experience where they have been given permission to close off the hatch completely? I was just wondering how likely this would be. I would prefer that there isn't a hatch within the conservatory but if I can't close it off, I will just build it up as I would envisage moving the hacth would be an expensive job.

I would advise to move the foul drain outside the cons base if you possibly can. Failing that, it makes sense to ensure there are no problems with the existing drain before covering it up & it would be prudent to replace the section running under the cons with a single length of new pipe, bedded & protected as per current BRís. You really need to loose the inspection hatch; you can get air tight hatches that you can tile but ask yourself if you really want one inside your cons & I wouldnít advise you just close it up without being sure you have suitable roding access elsewhere! From the photo, the chamber doesnít seem to be at a junction so it should be feasible to do away with it & fit a new one outside the cons base but which side you put it will depend on distances to the adjacent hatches not exceeding the maximum; to keep within the maximum distance you may need to fit a hatch either side. The extra work is inconvenient but the additional cost neednít be that much & a small price to pay for peace of mind especially if you later have to dig up the cons base to fix a problem icon_cry.gif . Not much work for a man with a mini digger (if you can get one in the back) who could dig out for the cons base, new trench & chamber(s) + around a Ĺ days ground works to fit the new inspection chamber(s) lay a new one piece pipe, & backfill it all; you might find a man with the digger who can do the lot in a day. Strictly speaking it should be re-inspected by LABC but if you do it as repairs to a damaged pipe. icon_wink.gif

My own 5 x 5m cons has a foul drain (not shared) running right under the center & I did it as above but did not have to install a new chamber. Itís been there for 6 years now & no problems.
 Alert Moderators
jeds

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:00 pm Reply with quote

First thing really is to check to see if this is a private drain or public sewer? Your sewer provider should be able to tell you (normally on the phone) from the address and postcode.
 Alert Moderators
noseall

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:29 pm Reply with quote

Surely that's a typo! 4.5m under the surface as in metres???? icon_eek.gif

If that is the case i would say it renders the job not just difficult but nigh on impossible.

Is that another pipe we can see running through the inspection chamber?
 Alert Moderators
Richard C

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:41 pm Reply with quote

noseall wrote:

Surely that's a typo! 4.5m under the surface as in metres???? icon_eek.gif
If that is the case i would say it renders the job not just difficult but nigh on impossible.

Must confess that didnít register but I count 7 courses so got to be a typo; 450mm I reckon.

noseall wrote:

Is that another pipe we can see running through the inspection chamber?

Bit confused about the 2 pipes but I canít see it icon_confused.gif

Need more input OP icon_lol.gif
 Alert Moderators
Fluffster

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:42 pm Reply with quote

Looks like 2 pipes to me. One with an access cap looks about 6". They could be seperate drains run in the same trench with the surface water protected being enclosed.

Pete
 Alert Moderators
noseall

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:15 pm Reply with quote

Richard C wrote:

Bit confused about the 2 pipes but I canít see it icon_confused.gif
Surely you can see t'uther pipe Rich?

As Fluff has said, it appears there is an access cap on top.
 Alert Moderators
Richard C

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:05 am Reply with quote

noseall wrote:

Surely you can see t'uther pipe Rich? As Fluff has said, it appears there is an access cap on top.

Think I can make it out now & if that is a pipe, it looks to be rather larger than the open 110mm alongside. Not seen one like that before; which is which do you reckon, surface water under the hatch?

I fear it may change things somewhat. icon_confused.gif
 Alert Moderators
Fluffster

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:30 am Reply with quote

It may be a storm drain.

Pete
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Building Regulations and Planning Permission All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: