Replacing a dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm looking to replace an old-style rotary dimmer switch in my lounge with a new fangled remote control one, but I have a question about how I should wire this up . . .

The existing dimmer switch has two wires going into it: the brown wire which goes into the "L" terminal on the dimmer, and a blue wire going into a terminal on the dimmer that looks like a wavy line with an arrow through it !

The replacement remote control dimmer has the same terminals, so it should be easy enough - just swap the wires over.

The backbox is a metal backbox and has an earthing cable going to a terminal at the back of the metal box.

The new remote control dimmer has a metal faceplate which has a plastic cover that clips over it. Becuase of this there is an earthing terminal on the metal faceplate too and the instructions that come with the remote control dimmer say that because it has a metal faceplate it MUST be earthed. My question is how do I go about earthing the metal faceplate ?

The two options that I can think of are:

1. Unscrew the earth cable that goes to the metal backbox and wire this to the metal faceplate instead, but surely that would leave the metal backbox unearthed, and I assume it is earthed for a reason.

2. Get a new bit of cable and connect one end to the earthing terminal at the back of the metal backbox (along with the existing cable) and connect the other end to the earthing terminal on the metal faceplate of the dimmer.

If option 2 is the way to go, then what cable do I have to use - can I just use something I have lying around, or does it have to be anything special.

If neither options above are correct, can someone point me in the right direction please !

Many thanks,

Chris

Sponsored Links
Take the wire out of the back box and put it to the switch then take a fly lead from the switch to the back box, you can use 1mm cable as long as it is sleeved green and yellow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back