Need to get HD TV signals into other bedrooms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have Virgin Media installed with a box in the living room and another in one bedroom. The one in the living room can record stuff and the one in the bedroom cannot.

Anyway, how do I get HD signals from one of the boxes into the other two bedrooms so I can put a telly into those bedrooms?

I'm assuming that sharing the HDMI out of the box in the upstairs bedroom is going to be the easiest option. I would need to split the signal three ways to feed the telly in that bedroom and the other two bedrooms.

I'm not too bothered about controlling the set-top box just yet but that would also be a good thing if it can be done easily. I know Sky I could use the 9V signal on the UHF2 output with a magic eye but I don't know if Virgin HD boxes have the same capability.

Sponsored Links
Ideally the older scientific atlanta V+ box which has component video outputs. You cant watch some protected movies through that system though.

Otherwise a HDMI splitter and a long cable run. It sounds like you will need a very long cable run and you might have problems with this. A lot of home cinema installers still prefer to use component video due to problems with long HDMI cables.

Personally I would buy a reasonable quality long HDMI and just run that across the floow and try watching one of the tv's in the bedroom for a while to see if you get any problems.

Break this down in to two bits.... Splitting the HDMI signal, and then sending the HDMI signal a long distance.

A HDMI splitter is the obvious choice. Try and get something that uses a power supply, and that has a definite spec level (1.3b) rather than the cheapest plain box from the bay.

Sending the signal over distance - a good HDMI cable is possibly the cheapest way up to 10~15m. After that then signal degradation can become an issue. You also need to make sure that the rest of the HDMI cables and devices are a decent spec too. HDMI is only as strong as the weakest link. Every time you make another link in the chain then the margin for error gets reduced. A cheap short cable might work okay connecting a player to a TV, but it has no place as the first step in your distribution chain.

The alternative is HDMI baluns and then a couple of runs of CAT5 to each room. Some of those systems also relay IR back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back