Extractor fan fitted on bathroom window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bought an electric extractor fan to replace the faulty existing one in my bathroom. The old one used to go on when you switched on the light. The guy who put in the new one said to me that regulation doesn’t require you to connect it to the electricity anymore. Meanings when the light goes on you don’t need the fan to go on e.g. after steam in the bathroom or smell! I spent extra getting that fan (and it does not have a cord). Is he talking a whole load of crap because he did not want to connect it up properly to the electricity supply? Still to pay him.

Cisco :mad:

Sponsored Links
What do you mean?

You mean he's fitted an electric fan and not wired it up at all?

Or do you mean he has wired it separate to the light?

Hi Sparkwright
He has fitted/replaced it on the window where the old one was fitted - with its electric cable already there coming out and going into the ceiling, connected to the light source and light pull cord. So when the light switched on so did the extractor fan. He said regulations now don’t need you to have an electric extractor fan running in the bathroom. Wish I had known before would not have spent that extra money, cannot find the box to return it to the store. Is he taking the mickey out of me that you don't need an electric extractor fan connected to the light any more? That's was what I wanted and he did connect it up.

Cisco

Is he taking the mickey out of me that you don't need an electric extractor fan connected to the light any more?

There has never been any requirement to have the fan switched with the light.

Sponsored Links
Thank you so much guys

So no regulations to have an extractor fan running when the light is switched on? It was my choice he was asked to connect it up so when the light goes on so would the fan start running and was part of the list of things of things to do. Had I know I would not have gone out and got a expensive expensive fan. :cry:
Cisco

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back