Multipoint lock in UPVC door wont work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, multipoint lock isn't working correctly. I can't lock the door properly because the handle wont rise fully. more of a problem is that it also won't disengage the bolts fully. With a bit of force the centre and lower spindles can be freed but the top lock remains engaged so I can't open the door.
How do I get the door open to inspect the lock and replace it? The top panel is glazed if that helps. There isn't enough space to get a crowbar/jemmy in between door and wall. this is an inward opening back door.
There is just enough give in the door leaf that i can feel a bolt moving up and down when i raise and lower the handle and and have put my fingers around the bottom of door.
Any ideas please.
thanks
Peter

Sponsored Links
If you've got the centre latch moving and the bottom cams/hooks moving then you're best bet is to manipulate the door open enough to manually move the top parts free from the keepers with a hammer and flat screwdriver or similar. you will probably mark the frame and sash a bit but you have no choice other than to braek off the hinge caps and unscrew the hinges so you can open the door from the hinge side. If you can deglaze the top half you will get a bit more give when you prise it. Good luck

Have you tried removing the handles and turning the spindle with an adjustable spanner just in case the problem is with the handle rather than the lock mechanism?

hi,
thanks for the ideas, i tried forcing the top fixing and managed to partially release it but the centre and lower bolts re-engaged! I can release 2 out of 3 fixings but never all 3.
It was installed in 1992 by a company no longer trading. I think it was a rehau door. i am considering angle grinding through the hinges and replacing them but haven't seen any for sale that are identical. it appears to be rebated type(ie fixings are made into the door edge so the hinge can't be unscrewed)
are this type interchangeable? the door is in a rental property so I don't want to leave the tenants too long without a lockable door.
The wall is close to the door edge so I can't get a screwdriver or jemmy bar in to force the last bolt.
Any other ideas?

Sponsored Links
From the sound of it you have` Butt `hinges in which case there is a pin through the hinge from top to bottom,if the grub screws that hold it in place have been left untightend you may be able to `pop ` the pins by hammering them upwards out of the hinge.

To get at the hooks you would normally prise the door leaf/opener from the frame and use a bolster chisel to spread the load,taking the glass out first as mentioned is prudent if you are a DIY and able to do so.

If you get the door open be prepared to screw a small plate across the hook thats playing up so it doesnt work but the door will still be safe if the rest open and close,if not then remove the top hook mortice all together.
If you are desperate then cut the top and bottom hooks off completley so the door shuts on the centre lock /deadbolt only as a temporary measure.

If you had any other doors fitted by the company at the same time you can check those for the make an size of lock before starting on the broken one.

On some locks you can get the replacemnt parts for the back /casing that is damaged,if you cut it down this option is lost.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back