Finishing radiator covers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been doing a project on and off for about 2 months now, crafting some radiator covers (bit like the ones on www.radiatorcoversworld.co.uk but better looking). To be honest it's ended up costing me a bit more oney than it would have done buying them, but as they say the journey is more important than the destination!

Anyway I'm on the final stages of finishing, but hoping some can advise me on the best way of doing this? The covers are made of MDF, but as is their nature, they will be close to a heat source, so the paint etc needs to be appropriate for this use. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
heeellloo and welcome nicknack
you will never be cheaper because they buy by the ship load get it half or less than you pay and use cmc /multi prossess machines that produce a full component every 2 or 3 mins lol
but the building yourself is a lot more fun

as for treating just make sure you coat both sides equally to stop cupping

if you look in this picture you can see the pine frame top from a radiator cover behind the motor off the flip saw
http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/bigall2005/?action=view&current=workshop003.jpg

as i say mdf wont move much if treated or not
in general pine will also remain fairly stable as its a full structure so cupping and twisting is greatly restricted

Just use a satin finish on mine , no problems as mdf does not warp with heat as it's already oven dried.
found it much cheaper than ready made this cost about £7.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back