Re-use CH pipe for gas?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having to move the boiler to the other side of the house, planning it out now, can you re-use a pipe run of 22mm copper that was previously used for the CH for a new gas run? or does the gas supply to the boiler require a new pipe?

It's quite a long, hard to access run you see and there's an unused CH pipe already in place.

Sponsored Links
I'm not going it myself, I don't touch gas, nor do I fit boilers. But I'd like to know the answer so I can either remove the old CH pipes and have the pantry(where the old boiler was) skimmed or leave one pipe in place for the gas fitter to use when I'm ready to have the boiler installed.

Sponsored Links
I'm not going it myself, I don't touch gas, nor do I fit boilers. But I'd like to know the answer so I can either remove the old CH pipes and have the pantry(where the old boiler was) skimmed or leave one pipe in place for the gas fitter to use when I'm ready to have the boiler installed.
Which to upset - plsterer or gas fitter :?: Well I like plasterers ........ :mrgreen:

If the pipe is in good condition & passes a pressure test, providing it does not have any tees going to lets say a redundant rad valve then i dont see why not, just make sure there is no water laying in the pipe as water in gas valves is an expensive mistake.

There is no reg to say you cant, but other than the obvious that its not connected anywhere else .
The condition of the water that has previously passed through it needs to be taken into consideration if its black and manky then this will have coated the pipe and when gas starts passing through it,it will dry it out and carry particles of it to elbows/the gas valve and can cause blockages not just once but several times

There is no reg to say you cant, but other than the obvious that its not connected anywhere else .
The condition of the water that has previously passed through it needs to be taken into consideration if its black and manky then this will have coated the pipe and when gas starts passing through it,it will dry it out and carry particles of it to elbows/the gas valve and can cause blockages not just once but several times[/quote]

I wouldn't, and for these exact reasons. How CAN you be sure there is no tee or valve along the route?

How would i know , through experience and knowing how heating works and is installed and thing called a soundness test .
Oh and if it was still connected it would fill with water as well .when heating refilled

haha ever the assessor, you can only run gas through pipes that are "gas pipes", who fitted the original pipe? was it a gas fitter, if not then you cant use it, (i know it has been under 1-1.5 bar, and gas is only under 30mb) but nevertheless it hasnt been fitted by a gas engineer then you cant use it, who amongst us would connect to a pipe fitted by A.N.Other and when the brown stuff hit the fan, expect to get away with saying " I thought it would be OK", yes we connect to existing gas pipes without a 100% inspection on the existing run, but a visual inspection on a best endeavour and a TT is all that we can do, but on an existing known water pipe there could be a suitable blank cap, but not suitable for gas that was missed as a full inspection was not seen, and also compression fittings could be sealed with inappropriate jointing material for gas etc etc etc
TBH on a more serious note, it cant be a good idea to run gas thro' a manky pipe it will cause problems at the gas valve sooner or later

How would i know , through experience and knowing how heating works and is installed and thing called a soundness test .
Oh and if it was still connected it would fill with water as well .when heating refilled

what if there were stopcocks on the run? (shouldnt be as we dont fit valves on heating circuits), but we do when a known extention will be fitted later to save us draining down etc, gas will flow thro' the pipe as the valve is open but could become a leak later

" but nevertheless it hasnt been fitted by a gas engineer then you cant use "

I'm sure that GAS ENGINEERS have better things to do than install pipes,

If the pipe in question can be checked along its length for any branches/valves ect, and also may be flushed out (if required) I cant see a problem.

You wouldn't hesitate to use a cold water pipe to carry hot water.

Providing the pipework is chesked whats the problem. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back