basin tap flow increases when shower valve is opened

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Could somebody please tell me under what circumstances will water pressure from a basin tap (cold supply) increase when I turn on the shower valve (cold)? When the shower valve is closed, the cold flow from the basin monobloc tap (and also the supply to the toilet cistern) is pretty weak.

Logically I would expect the opposite should happen.

Would I need to open up the ceiling below (shower room floor is tiled) to check the pipework?

The system in the house is an unvented cylinder type (Telford Tornado)

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Maybe you have poor flow rates, and a pump has been fitted for your shower but fitted before the basin and toilet.

As the flow switch will be on the shower only, it will detect when the shower has turned on boosting the pressure on anything between the pump and the shower also.

May be wrong, just a theory?

Hi John

Thanks for your input.

I have a Megaflo type cylinder (Telford Tornado), with no additional pump (I believe having one would fall foul of water bye-laws).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back