Wires too thick to fit in replacement light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing an old ceiling rose/pendant light with a new fitting with angled spotlights. It's on a landing and on a two-way switch. The terminals of the old ceiling rose were large enough to take three wires twisted together; then a single wire from each terminal led to the lamp itself.

The new light fits directly to the ceiling so doesn't have a separate rose as such. The problem I have is that although the single switched live will fit into the relevant terminal, the three neutrals twisted together are too big to fit. What is the correct procedure here? Should I make the connections in a separate junction box or connector blocks and then run single wires into the light fitting itself?

To check everything is working correctly I shortened two of the wires before retwisting and taping them, leaving one longer which fits into the terminal. All works fine but I get the feeling this is not an optimal method (!) so I want to do it properly...

Sponsored Links
Should I make the connections in a separate junction box and then run single wires into the light fitting itself?.

Provided the junction box is accessible and suitable then that is the best method. Ensure that the earth conductors are also joined together.

It is accepteable to use a junction box that is wired up below the ceiling and then pushed through the hole that the lamp fitting or a blanking plate will cover PROVIDED the the cables are fixed by clamps onto the grey sheath.

Are individual connector blocks also acceptable?

BTW the lighting circuit is not earthed (1964 house). I was assured that the light fitting is double insulated and OK to use unearthed.

(And yes I know the lighting circuit really should be overhauled; it is on the list, eventually...)

Have you tried fitting the wires into the terminals without twisting them together? Twisting gives a fixed bulk, straighten the copper with some pliers and see if they'll go in like that.

PJ

Sponsored Links
Have you tried fitting the wires into the terminals without twisting them together? Twisting gives a fixed bulk, straighten the copper with some pliers and see if they'll go in like that.

PJ
I don't think that'll work, the terminals on the light seem stupidly small. I spent far too long yesterday trying to get them to fit - it's always much more fiddly working above your head, especially when it's getting dark and your wife is yelling up the stairs asking when she can turn the lights back on. :rolleyes:

Are individual connector blocks also acceptable?

Not really if there is any chance of the cables being moved as the weakest point for damage from movement of the cables is where the wire is clamped under the screw of the terminal block. Clamping the sheath prevents any movement of the wire at that weakest point.

BTW the lighting circuit is not earthed (1964 house). I was assured that the light fitting is double insulated and OK to use unearthed.

Look for the square within a square symbol to see if it is claimed to be double insulated. I say claim because sometimes the designer / manufacturer of a lamp fitting seems to have forgotten it will have lamps fitted and these lamps when in use get hot and heat softens insulation.

(And yes I know the lighting circuit really should be overhauled; it is on the list, eventually...)

Don't put it off too long. especially if you are making small changes to the installation.

Same situation , landing light, two switches, needed to add larger 6 screw in strip to hold wire connections, switch’s & light working fine. Now looking for a long narrow box to go around the 6 screw-in strip seen in the picture , so I can push it into the ceiling hole. What would such a box be called?

Attachments

• IMG_6577.jpeg
    IMG_6577.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Have you got a picture of the inside of the new fitting? You'd normally dress the cables into connectors in the base of the fitting, however there are some double insulated fittings, which would cease being double insulated if you did this.

Here is a photo of the wires strip in the light fitting, too small to hold all the wires

Attachments

• IMG_6607.jpeg
    IMG_6607.jpeg
    213.4 KB · Views: 70
Yes, replaced old light fixture, copying wiring to this fixture, just not enough space for all wires so added the 6 screw-in strip, but now need to tidy this up, I do have access to both sides of the ceiling.

Thank you for ur replies, No earth wires when I started. I did not question the layout of wires, as it worked with the 2 switch’s so I just copied what was working. I will need to think out the logic of ur wiring layout, makes more sense, will try it out later, unfortunately it not my next fix for today, first need to fix a 3d printer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back