17th Edition Question...Kind of!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right a family friend want me to remove a consumer unit that is used as the heating board as it's all being done away as they are installing a combi boiler. So as the old domestic board is old fuses I'm going to replace it with the domestic board (mcb's). Now my question is do I have to make sure everything is up to regs once I do this, ie do I have to upgrade the main earth for the water to comply with new regs etc?

Sponsored Links
1. You must test existing supply for faults before you start as once the RCD is fitted faults are likely to trip this which would not have effected old system.
2. To do the tests you need meters able to test insulation with 500 volt and continuity with greater than 200 mA. Also you will need to test the RCD and the tester needs not only to test the milliamp required but also measure the time 40 ms can't be measured with a stop watch. Some things can be found by enquiry but using a loop impedance tester is far better.
3. Once completed all tests are repeated and recorded so likely you will need meters for more than one day especially if you find there is a fault.
4. Hire charges likely around £75 and to buy around £750 for meters.
5. Although you do not have Part P in Scotland you do it seems have a similar regulation.

So if you know what ELI etc is and have assess to meters then OK. But don't think it is easy. Even time served electricians have lost money hunting for faults after up-grading to RCD protection and some are hard to find.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back