Advice needed on tiling floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just raised up the laminate flooring in my new house and the old tiles in front of the fireplace are there. I have included a picture to make it easier. A lot of the tiles are covered in concrete ad the first row of tiles looks like it may have been taken out.

Should i take out all the old tiles and replace them? Is this an easy(ish) job? I have just painted all the walls so would like to keep the mess to a minimum if possible.

I was thinking of just tiling over the top of them, but that would mean the tiles would be raised higher than the floorboards

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Welcome
So you have removed the laminate, what are you try to have as a finished floor.

Thanks for the reply.

We are going to probably paint the floor boards.

Removing the tiles, will be messy & you will have to fill.
Why not lay new tiles, make a feature.
Will the fire be working? in which case lay new tiles or as I did brick slab into the breast as well.

Sponsored Links
Do you mean tile on top of what is there and then into the fireplace as well? I did think about that but was unsure because the tiles would be higher than the floorboards. Any suggestions on what to do about that?

Ps. We won't be having a working fire in there

Cheers

Make a feature of the hearth.
Does it matter if it is higher.
Its up to how you want it to look. You knock the tiles of level & then board over.

if you want the floorboards all level to paint..

then imo just cut out that section of floorboards that the tiles are on, and replace with new floorboards and then paint...just make sure you dont have any services underneath..and look out for joists when cutting,but you will be able to see where these run,by looking at the floorboards in the rest off the room.

wont be that dusty/messy to do.. ;)

Making a feature of it is a good idea. Think I'm gonna put new tiles down and then just put a trim around it. Can I tile on top of the existing tiles? It's not gonna be walked on so it should be fine I'm guessing.

i hope them tiles aint fixed directly to the floorboards!!!!

if your going to tile over them?

I would think the old tiles are on concrete (the old hearth).
Makeing a feature is a lot easier than fixing wood, unless you intended new wood all over the old, then that would be simple, but expensive.

Definatly not replacing the whole floor, bit too expensive!!

Yeah, I think the old tiles are concrete so was hoping just to tile over them. Any problems with doing that?

Cheers

You dont need to use tiles.
Look at the picture bottom right on this link, you can lay a slab thats brick pattern, about 5 of these is all you will require, or get brick slips, you will raise the hearth by about 30mm, so it looks intentional, play about with ideas, but you are not limited to tiles.
I layed brick block
http://www.elliotts.uk.com/my_documents/my_files/73F_12-22.pdf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back