RECENT C & G 2382 question

Yea but, if you draw a vertical line down the centre of a circle that will form two D shapes.

More proof that D is the correct answer, innit tho.

:LOL:

Yes but if you then separate these D's and place one on top of the other it then becomes a B.

Sponsored Links
Many of us (including me) accept that argument as to why B can be regarded as a correct answer. However (give or take all the unnecessary fuss about the phrase 'supply undertaking') in what sense do you think that answer D, in itself, is incorrect? Let's face it, as you say, by virtue of the note in Table 54.8 it is effectively part of the other answer which you believe to be correct - so I can't really see how it can be incorrect itself.
It's incomplete.
Yes, it's incomplete, but it's still correct. The question therefore has two 'correct' answers - which it shouldn't have. For that reason, it's a bad question.

Kind Regards, John.

:D There is only one correct answer.

Contacting the "supply undertaking" would only ever be considered if the installer suspected the table was not valid. The table points you to this fact.

One answer.

FFS. D is a red herring. How many people would ever use the phrase " I'm just going to contact the Supply Undertaking"....... ?

Edited for clarity.

Sponsored Links
Did you know that if you draw two lines, one out from each end of the diameter, to meet up on the edge of the circle (to form a triangle) then wherever they meet, the angle where they intersect is always 90 deg.
Indeed. That's why gardeners, builders, carpenters etc. etc. have traditionally used a loop of string and a couple of stakes to create a right angle.

Kind Regards, John

They might say " I'm just going to contact the DNO/REC/Electricity board/supplier "etc etc - but 'supply undertaking' ?

Do me a favour !

They might say " I'm just going to contact the DNO/REC/Electricity board/supplier "etc etc - but 'supply undertaking' ? Do me a favour !
I certainly agree that not many people would say it. It is a bad question and, in addition to the fact that it has two correct answers, another reason for it being bad is that it uses terminology which, although correct, is very rarely used in 2011.

Interestingly, none of those alternatives you offer (DNO, REC, Electricity board, supplier) actually exist in BS7671:2008, apart from the entry for 'supplier' in Part 2 which refers one to 'Distributor'.

Kind Regards, John

Yes, it's incomplete, but it's still correct. The question therefore has two 'correct' answers - which it shouldn't have. For that reason, it's a bad question.

Precisely. Just because answer B might convey a more precise answer does not mean that answer D is, in itself, incorrect. The course of action specified in answer D is a necessary part of following the more detailed course of action set out in answer B (assuming that the latter is taken as as following the note to the table, and not just the actual tabulated figures). So how can answer D possibly be incorrect?

If there are two correct answers and the format of the exam requires that only one answer be provided as the "proper" answer, then it's a very badly worded question/answer set.

Contacting the "supply undertaking" would only ever be considered if the installer suspected the table was not valid. The table points you to this fact.

The supply undertaking's requirements can override the minima specified in the table, as acknowledged by the note to that table. So how could you possibly know whether such overriding requirements exist in any particular case without contacting the supplier?

How many people would ever use the phrase " I'm just going to contact the Supply Undertaking"....... ?

In much casual speech, maybe not. But if you said "I'm just going to contact the supplier" or "I'm just going to contact the DNO" the meaning would be the same. The modern DNO is still the supply undertaking, even if not referred to explicitly as such in the current edition of BS7671.

(When was the term dropped anyway? I no longer have a copy of the 15th edition in which to check, but it was used throughout the amended 14th edition, so was most certainly still in "the book" until at least the early 1980's.)

The modern DNO is still the supply undertaking, even if not referred to explicitly as such in the current edition of BS7671.
(When was the term dropped anyway? I no longer have a copy of the 15th edition in which to check, but it was used throughout the amended 14th edition, so was most certainly still in "the book" until at least the early 1980's.)
I can't answer that but, as I said way back on page 2, the most likely place to see that language still being used these days is in legal circles. I just quickly googled it, and found some 2011 draft legislation which still talks of "supply undertaking".

What some people seem to be missing is that if the examiners deliberately used "supply undertaking" with the intention of marking it as 'incorrect' on the basis that (although correct) it's not a term in common use these days, that would be yet another reason why it's a very bad question.

Kind Regards, John.

What some people seem to be missing is that if the examiners deliberately used "supply undertaking" with the intention of marking it as 'incorrect' on the basis that (although correct) it's not a term in common use these days, that would be yet another reason why it's a very bad question.

Most definitely. "Supply undertaking" is still used in official references. It was the term used in the Wiring Regs. for decades. And even if that were not the case, it would still mean what it means. So to try and use it as a "red herring" answer just because those two precise words don't appear in the current edition of BS7671 would be well into the realm of a very bad trick question.

If you were to believe that D was the correct answer and you really did bother to spend half of your day talking to someone one the phone who will probably have no idea what the hell a bonding cable is, let alone what size it should be and they then tell you that they are not aware of any such requirements, what are you going to do next?

A) Complain to C&G about the poor wording of the test.
B) Check table 54.8 and install a cable and get on with life.
C) Whinge away to anyone who will listen.
D) Canvas the opinion of a bunch of random people on an internet forum until you find someone who will support your point of view, no matter how tenuous the reasoning.

I still say the answer is B ;)

As others have already said, this multiple choice test is really nothing more than a comprehension test, designed to see if someone can read stuff about lecktrickery (without their heads exploding in a tempest of semantics)

I guess to some people its as simple as black and white, yet to some people it must absolutely be total absorbtion or total reflection of all visible parts of the electromagnetic spectrum.

What are we doing here, installing cables or discussing the origins of the universe and all things contained within?

its the bisect.

Ebee, whats the prize for being the cleverestist?

Just as a side note (which, I imagine, shouldn't take too long to get a clear answer :p)

Under what circumstances would a Local Distributor require a larger main protective bonding conductor?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back