Bathroom Extractor fan.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need some advice. I am taking an electric shower out of my bathroom as we have had a combi boiler fitted and i will be running a new shower from that. The question is can i run a extractor fan off the old electric shower wiring. I know that this wiring runs from the consumer board with a 45 amp fuse (which would not be safe for the fan) to a pull switch in the bathromm. Is there a way to down grade this to make it safe to run the fan from and is it a job i could do. Thanks for any help. :D .

Sponsored Links
Your best bet is to get an electrician in to wire one in properly for you off the lighting circuit. This way you can have a fan with an over run on it. You would struggle to fit a 6mm/10mm cable in the fan connections any way. Get it done properly is the answer

Thanks for the reply 5parks. I dont want to run a fan off the light as i only want it to run when using the shower or bath. Thats why i was hoping to use the old shower pull switch. :D

You could get an electrician to replace your 40a fuse with a 6a and then run a 1mm t&e from the load side of your pull cord to the fan. Not ideal and I wouldnt do it but then this is a diy forum and that would be a typical diy solution.

Sponsored Links
5parks";p="1947217 said:
You could get an electrician to replace your 40a fuse with a 6a

You should not be doing anything in the fuse board.

i have done something similar in mine, where old electric shower wiring was put in a fused switch with 3 amp fuse, run wiring from that then to fan. Mine is only used when having a shower / bath. I dont see point of using it inline with lighting, good luck :)

i have done something similar in mine, where old electric shower wiring was put in a fused switch with 3 amp fuse, run wiring from that then to fan.
Did you have to go into the loft where all the lighting cables are?
I dont see point of using it inline with lighting
Because it's run FROM the lights doesn't mean it has to come on WITH the light.

No didnt have to go into loft my bathroom was v old fashion lol wire was in cupboard where boiler is so thats where ive put my fused socket. Used old shower wiring not to waste the rcd on c/u. Was cheapest solution :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back