Gas flue ventilation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I need some advice from a gas engineer. My gas fire (cannon coalridge) has been deemed at risk by an engineer during a service due to the flue being enclosed in an open ended lean to. I think the flue type is balanced.

A previous engineer advised me to remove a panel from the wall, which I did. The latest engineer has now told me I have to take down the entire structure. He disconnected the fire without asking permission and slapped an immediate danger notice on it after telling me it was not immediately dangerous but at risk and told me there was a fine for removing it. He did not take any measurements or use any gauges/detectors.

I’m a bit confused by this since the flue was in the same position when we moved in 8 years ago and we have had 3 or 4 gas services on the appliance in this time.

Does anyone know the ventilation requirement?

thanks jimmy

Sponsored Links
THese are amongst the most difficult to call.

The original installer was probably wrong, and as a minimum would have been NCS, depending on date of install.

Your recent fitter is in a difficult situation. It is essentially AR, unless there is a likelihood pf products entering property, when it becomes ID. Your previous fitter, advising cutting an opening, was trying to make the best of a difficult situation.

The truth is, it is down to any RGI to assesss a situation and react accordingly. If we leaave something, even for the best reasons, and sobsequently someone dies or is made ill, we GO TO JAIL.

Your recent fitter has confused the situation, by using conflicting terminology, but you are using this to suggest he is doing you down. I would, on the face of it, stand by him, but you are free to employ another RGI to re-assess and possibly re-connect.

Whenever I raise a problem, the client typically says it has been like that for x years. I point out that people cross a road several time a week for years, but eventually, a coming together of circumstance sometimes results in a fatality or injury.

So to summarise, he is probably roght, but didn't explain clearly.

BUT if you are employed, you can spend all day talking and advising, and yopu get paid your salary. Independant RGI's NEVER get paid for unprouductive time, and there is always another client waiting. Regardless of your payment for any paticular moment in time. the overheads are still clocking up.

The structure does not need removing, but the basic requirement is for there to 2 walls, not 3. If that makes sense.

Depending on the actual fire and the exact situation, it could be anywhere from perfect to Immediately Dangerous.
The fact that it has not been spotted before does not mean it is safe.

If you fire is balanced flue I can't see it needing ventilation.
If I remember correctly the Cannon Coalridge had three versions; open flue, balanced flue and fan flue. I don't think even the open flued model needed ventilation but MIs will put you straight, if you can get hold of them.

Sponsored Links
If you fire is balanced flue I can't see it needing ventilation.
If I remember correctly the Cannon Coalridge had three versions; open flue, balanced flue and fan flue. I don't think even the open flued model needed ventilation but MIs will put you straight, if you can get hold of them.

have you not read any of these posts? Contrary to the title, this has nowt to do with ventilation!

Thanks for the advice, I'll be removing as much of the structure as possible before getting it reassessed.

Is it acceptable to fit vent/grill panels in this circumstance?

Thanks
Paul

No, I'm sorry, Jimmy, but unless you remove the end wall , it is going to be AR, as a minimum. Tweaking around won't comply.
Remember that you DON'T have to agree to have the (AR) fire disconnected, but if you have already given permission, no-one will reconnect.

Well one end and one side wall is the house so I'm a bit screwed. Do you think taking the other side off to give one end and one side free would do it?

I didnt give permission because he didnt ask. I dont have a downer on the guy for doing his job I'm more annoyed with the numb nut we bought the house off who put up the lean to.

jimmy67";p="1951259 said:
Well one end and one side wall is the house so I'm a bit screwed. Do you think taking the other side off to give one end and one side free would do it?

Yes, perfectly!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back