wood pellet system boilers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Im in the stages of receiving a energy efficiency rating for our new build in scotland, however it is proving difficult.

We are now deciding to move from an oil combi condensing boiler to a wood pellet boiler, which will enable us to pass the SAP test.

Does anyone have any knowledge of wood pellet boilers? It would need to be from an MCS installer and manufacturer to enable us to receive money back from the government.

Any advice would be great.

Its a 1 and a half storey house with just the downstairs completed. It will have 7 radiators in the downstairs, and when the upstairs is converted in years to come there may be another 3/4 going upstairs, so i would like to make allowances for this. The house is 80m2, and insulated with mostly kingspan.

Many thanks,
Danny

Sponsored Links
A wood gassification boiler will cost you much less and they actually work. Depending how much you can claim back, it may be worth checking prices with someone not on the MCS scheme. Pellets are dearer than oil and with no UK standard could be cut with Vim/Ajax, left over paella and dried hamster droppings.

Pellets work out alot cheaper than oil? I think i would need about 3t of pellets per year, which costs around £600, against oil, which i would guess would be getting close to the 1k mark, if not over.

Can the wood gassification boiler have a 'hopper' type system like the pellet system? I like the idea of the pellet system that i dont have to be there to top it up.

Sponsored Links
Pellets work out alot cheaper than oil? I think i would need about 3t of pellets per year, which costs around £600, against oil, which i would guess would be getting close to the 1k mark, if not over.

Averaged over the last year, 1k would've bought oil equivalent to over 5t of best quality Scandinavian or Alpine pellets. Your budget will buy the ones made of gubbins with untested CV's. So although you like the idea of being hopper fed, you'll still need to be around to clear blockages the crud and ash produce evey hour.

I am considering the LA Nordica Extraflame Melinda stove boiler, has anyone had any expriences of these?

Yes I have, and others like it. Also with the boilers, as I've tried explain. But as you've asked for help yet simultaneously convinced yourself to know better, I'll leave you to find out.

Its not that i convince myself otherwise at all, i have a problem, that problem is an energy efficiency rating.

Unfortunately i have no out buildings nor garages, i cannot have a wood burning boiler in a kitchen, i have no other rooms available. That therfor leaves me with the space where i had my wood burning stove.

That leaves me, with afaik, 2 options. Wood burning stove to backboiler or pellet wood stove. It isnt ideal, it isnt great, but its about making good of a bad situation. Oil combi boiler creates far less headaches but just isnt possible.

Since the government is willing to pay for me to have this, and i have a reputable supplier, it seems like the logical option?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back