Best board thickness?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, just wondering what the best thickness of plaster/wall board to use for my ceiling. 9.3mm or 12mm?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
15mm db board.(db board=sound block)

keeps sound down and who uses 12.5 on ceilings any more??????

seriously :confused:

Sponsored Links
Thank you all. I guess I'll be ordering the 12.5mm then. And aha, I'll be using the soundproof boards in my attic as I'm turning it into a games room/office/bar type thing eventually.

Will post progress pictures when I get the boards. :)

I haven't put a 1/2 inch board on a ceiling for years, Honest gov :unsure: since chippies stoped putting noggind in the joists

I tend to use soundblock as a matter of course and care of duty to my client ( i know they are £2 a board dearer) but with insulation between floor joists and db board makes for a better job :) houses sound like a bloody echo chamber as it is :evil:

I prefer riven oak/sweet chestnut lath though, so I got some funny ideas :rolleyes:

No one really uses 9.5mm anymore & almost everyone I know uses 12.5mm; I don’t know anyone using 15mm SB unless it’s special circumstance or a flat conversion.

when we did spec buid houses in between conservation jobs i guarantee all ceilings were 15mm board, for the last 5 or 6 years. ill dig out some spec sheets, im not going doolallly i promise ;) now what was i talking abou................................. :confused:

haha j it is nice to c some original work still takeing place with the laths and what not.
i would like to learn some of this stuff ive been plastering now for ..............9 years nearly 10 and not done an awfull lot with lime if any to b honest. ive repaired lath ceilings with bonding before and floated out a few entire ceilings that have had the plaster knocked off and laths left up but not really the original way

if i get a lime job in you neck of the woods, ill give you a shout. its not rocket science, if you can plaster, you can lime plaster. its just understanding the material and not rushing things, Its a much nicer world than building boxes. it never ceases to put a smile on my face :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back