Building a small pitch slate roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How easy is it to build one? I have a flat-roofed extension on my kitchen, which is built outwards from the old wall. There will no doubt be a girder along the ceiling supporting the weight of the back wall, which will stay in.

Because so little light gets into the back of my house, I fancied putting a pitched roof up instead of the current flat roof, and installing 2 skylights. I wanted to do this myself, with help from my dad (who is very handy with this kind of thing). The lowest part of the roof would be the same height as the flat roof, the roof would then slope up a couple of feet (its only a small extension).

In principle, apart from the slating and flashing, I don't see it being a major project. There is no load to consider.

Are there ready-made brackets for the joists, wall, and eaves?

Sponsored Links
Well, it would have to be a very small roof, as to get the required pitch of about 22.5 degrees, only allows for a roof depth of about 5 ft if you only want if to rise 2 ft. You can get away with lower pitches, but this can cause the slates to rattle, and become prematurely damaged.

As to the other bits, then yes there is a load on it, it may not be very large but there is still a load. The hardest and possibly most expensive bit will be putting the skylights in.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help, it does seem like a fairly straightforward job. I just wanted options as I need to get more light in that back room and cutting into the flat roof just seems a bit silly when I can rip it off and replace it with a roof that'll look much better on the building.

tom there are cantelever systems available that will do the job for you as cheap and look as good, they also dont need anything stronger that a good brick wall to fix to.

very easy to fix as well.you can even get ones that have plastic immitation tiles and slates that look very good, take a look on the web for porches and ya will come across some.

worth thinking about

Thanks, but I prefer traditional materials to their modern equivalents.

have you costed the price of Real slates? :LOL:Don`t leave them lying on the ground for long.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back