Rads always hot.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could anyone please tell me why my Rads get hot at the same time as my hot water. I have the room stat turned right down and the Controller on hot water only. The valves appear to be working ok, but I'm no expert. I have a pumped system. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Could be two known things.

The valve is not shutting off.

The system has been installed wrong and your getting a by-pass circulation through the primary circuit

because your motorized valve is letting water pass when it should be shut to heating. Needs replacing.

Thanks for the speedy replies. I've been up in the airing cupboard fiddling with the valves and have a question:

If the lever on the outside appears to moving as it should, could there still be a problem with the inner workings?

Sponsored Links
Archroy said:
Thanks for the speedy replies. I've been up in the airing cupboard fiddling with the valves and have a question:

If the lever on the outside appears to moving as it should, could there still be a problem with the inner workings?

Yes the spring will be pulling the valve closed but it won't be making a tight seal for some reason and the water will pass into the heating circuit even though it's closed

ollski said:
Archroy said:

Yes the spring will be pulling the valve closed but it won't be making a tight seal for some reason and the water will pass into the heating circuit even though it's closed

Maybe this a stupid question for you, without the aid of a crystal ball....Would I change the whole valve or just the motor.

Thanks for being so helpful

your going to need to drain it down anyway so change the whole valve.

You should be able to work out from the lever if the valve is in the correct position, A, A+B or B for the required heat demand.

Its always possible that there is a control fault, perhaps the timeclock or room thermostat has failed.

If everything else is really correct then the wet part of the valve can have failed. An occasional problem is the moving rubber ball comes off the pivot or disintergrates.

Tony Glazier

Agile said:
You should be able to work out from the lever if the valve is in the correct position, A, A+B or B for the required heat demand.

Its always possible that there is a control fault, perhaps the timeclock or room thermostat has failed.

If everything else is really correct then the wet part of the valve can have failed. An occasional problem is the moving rubber ball comes off the pivot or disintergrates.

Tony Glazier

I have a new timeclock and roomstat so things are pointing strongly to the valve. I'l pick up a new valve and post back later as a reference for anyone with similar probs.

Thanks again for the advice.

Could be three things now then.

Valve not closing

System not plumbed in right.

Faulty wiring to new components.

doitall said:

Valve not closing

Take your point. Had me thinking there for a moment, but we had this problem before the new switch and stat were installed. Also the system is plumbed in fine as it has worked correctly in the past. This will be the first time any plumbing has been altered. Ideas and thoughts always welcome.

doitall said:

Valve not closing

Could be 4 things, it could be the cylinder stat is faulty, but it won't be it will be the valve ;)

ollski said:
Could be 4 things, it could be the cylinder stat is faulty, but it won't be it will be the valve ;)

Wouldn't be the cylinder stat :cry: :cry:

Could be any of the other three though :eek: :eek:

I would drain out and remove the valve just to visually inspect it for I got another :idea: :idea:

An update:

I managed to salvage a honeywell valve today before a plumber skipped it. After a few choice words in the airing cupboard I replaced the motor without changing the wet part of the valve and have solved the problem.

We now have hot water, all rads are hot and cold at the appropriate times

:LOL:

Thanks all for taking time to advise.

Do you mean you changed the whole head or just the motor inside it? A dead motor would not give the symptoms you had!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back