Lead pipe replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whilst my suspended floors are up i'm going to replace the lead water mains

I'm accepted onto the free replacement scheme and understand what they want me to do on my end more or less

the only trouble i'm having is understanding the ducting and insulation + sealing the pipe on the exit from my house

Do I need to duct & insulate until the mdpe pipe gets to where I intend to place the stop tap? (this will be about 12 metres away from the entry point )

can anyone point me towards the type of seals I need to go on the masonry and the actual ducting I need?

Sponsored Links
i did ours last Year , the Main thing is the depth nof the Pipework outside , they`ll check it to see its`s at least 750mm down , I put a piece of 4"soilpipe with an obtuse bend through the Wall , Due to the SubFloor being quite shallow compared with the 750mm deep Trench, I Insulated the Pipe along the Garden Trench and just into the House , I did`nt bother insulating it under the floor ,Though its cheap and wouldnt do any harm seeing you have access, And sealed the Pipe after fitting with expanding Foam to stop any "intruders"

Lucky

i did ours last Year , the Main thing is the depth nof the Pipework outside , they`ll check it to see its`s at least 750mm down , I put a piece of 4"soilpipe with an obtuse bend through the Wall , Due to the SubFloor being quite shallow compared with the 750mm deep Trench, I Insulated the Pipe along the Garden Trench and just into the House , I did`nt bother insulating it under the floor ,Though its cheap and wouldnt do any harm seeing you have access, And sealed the Pipe after fitting with expanding Foam to stop any "intruders"

Lucky

I have the same problem with the depth

so trench 750mm minimum then through the wall using a soil pipe filling any gaps with expanding foam

when it comes into your house you didn't put anymore ducting ?

how did you cope with the sharp angle where the pipe needs to bend?

thanks

they already sent me that guide but it doesn't tell me what fittings I need and as i know nothing about plumbing i wasn't sure what to buy, i'll go with what luckyphil says as his house sounds very similar to mine

Sponsored Links
Please note that there are two things which you are required to do under the regulations/for your benefit:-

Insulate the pipe where it passes through an unheated space like underfloor!

Put a stopcock as close to where the pipe enters the building. Thats to enable the water to be turned off. I suppose if its a continuous pipe the risk of putting it further in is low.

Prevent rodent entry.

I drill a hole from the inside at an angle of about 45° so that I can use a straight pipe duct through the wall.

To deter rodents I compress fine chicken wire netting into the outside and then add a little foam. I then add a little foam to seal on the inside.

Tony

due to the makeup of the house it's impracticle to place a stopcock other than about 12 metres into the house, do you think that would be acceptable?

The idea of the stop tap is to protect your property is u get a burst-lift a couple of boards at front of house and leave an acsess hatch!
Or dig out yourself to save some money but get a plumber to run and connect properly.

Ok, got the trench dug to about 850mm deep, as far as i can tell my foundations are slightly less than the 750mm although i didn't have anything to poke through to see how far in i could get, so i think will have to come under them

would some corrugated ducting passed through with pipe, insulated then filled with expanding foam be ok does anyone know?

hi, this is what we do for a living, but if you get the right equipment you can do it yourself, you do have to get the pipe into the property and this usually means breaking through the foundations , if the hole is 750 deep you should be able to go up and under the foundations, easiest way is to break a hole through the interior floor and then go through from the outside hopefully the two will meet in the middle, then use flexiduct to go through the hole and lagging both of which can be bought from a diy store, and feed the blue mdpe through it, dont kink the pipe it will weaken it ... hope this helps

There are small companies that dont charge the large sums that the larger companies do and can do the job using moling equipment so as to not disturb your outside areas too greatly, it may be worth looking at the WIAPS website if you are looking for someone to quote...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back