Dual tech' PIRs - Good/Bad ?

JM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
EG Optex.
I'm unclear, do microwave + ir detectors needs both triggers or either trigger ?
Are they better at handling false alarms or just more sensitive overall.

I've only used PIRs in the past, decent ones and no trouble. Now looking to site a detector that 'sees' the front door (and the post that drops nearby). IR shouldn't see the post, but microwave might.

Sponsored Links
Dualtechs mostly need both to trigger, there are some with an either/or function but they are rare, and in the wrong application extremely unreliable.

I assume this is an access circuit and you have a contact on the door?

I would not use a sensor for entry exit, unless there was no way of fitting a contact to the door.

Correct, both technologies need to be active to create an alarm condition, hense a more stable detection soloution with virtually no FAs if setup correctly with regard to the MW.

There is one i know of that can alarm if there is prolonged activity with either technology

Wouldn't put money on post not triggering a pir btw and care needs to be exercised with the MW due to its penetration capability.

Although using a detector for entry/exit is allowed its not best practise.
What are you trying to achieve?

If you really need to use a detector for entry tey a good quad PIR and mask off the segment to the area of the letter box/drop. You should find it will still work for detection. ( Sudden thought, pass the asprin, is this for entry on a part set as you come down the stair?).

Sponsored Links
Yes to all.

For the hallway.
Front door will have an entry/exit contact on/in it.
Will be entry route.
Will see stairs for part-set mode (either position), so will be ER for that too.

If facing inside of front door, mw may catch the post! (or the postie if that good).
If facing from (above) the door, ir might catch summer sunshine if the kitchen door is left open.

I see a plan C forming ...

Dualtech . . . hmm having trouble with these at my place. Two more 2am - 4am false alarms and visits by the keyholders to check out the building.
Engineers scratching their heads have finally replaced the sensor after the 6th false alarm at my request - will see how that goes. Also replaced cabling to the errant sensor as it was reading 11 volts when battery was 13 so some loss there.
Strangely I am sub letting and the alarm system was put in by the landlords.
I have spoken with the alarm company and noone can point to who is responsible for the maintainence contracts??
I have a contract with the keyholders and they will be invoicing me for all their visits to the site. I have highlighted the fact that they have ticked the genuine box instead of false when arriving on site and recording no sign of break in or intruders. I will be passing those extra invoices onto the alarm company.
After a few false alarms the company decided to change the settings to double knock?? ie the system would not register an activation unless a sensor is activated twice.

I asked whether this contravened a G3 system but was met with blank looks.

So back to the pir.

Is it best not looking at the front door (inside) and risk the sunshine from the kitchen (even mask the upper regions out),

or,

Okay to look at the front door (perhaps up the pulse count)

or,

Use only an IR pir

How do you guys fit yours ?

Use a quad as mentioned and mask as required.

Yale person..........................
Hi, trollling are we?

What is the difference between G1 to G4 may I ask?
I assume you know this, being someone who fits others equipment sold by Yale as you say.
You take the risk assesments and other issues involved we assume.
How do you fit G1 systems yet make comments on G2 and or 3/4?

Love to know.

love to know?
so would he.

Odd that he refuses to name this mysterious installer considering he feels brave enough to have a pop at Auntie Daisy.

Had a yale alarm installed. 2 pirs false alarming early in the morning. Installer not sure what could be causing it, he has replaced them after 8 fa’s. I had to ask him to replace them :LOL: :evil: :evil: :evil:

As Alarm op, use a quad, pyronix KX15DQ would be a good choice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back