DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Combi boiler diverter valve q!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
frankparkins

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:15 pm Reply with quote

Hello all, I have a query I'd like help with if I may please?

A lot of newer combi's use an electric motor on their diverter valves, where the motor when energised lifts the valve to h/w mode, often when a flow turbine first senses flow and via the pcb it activates the diverter valve.

When in heating mode, does the valve stay de-energised, or does it still get energised, to ensure it is in the correct position, before allowing the heating ignition sequence?
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
jackecole

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:02 am Reply with quote

Usually the motor only becomes activated when a hot water demand is made, by the flow switch. then the valve body inside via the motor moves and closes the heating port.
 Alert Moderators
Agile

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:28 pm Reply with quote

I think you are referring to the black motors.

They are a small induction motor with three connections and two limit switches.

They run for ONLY a few seconds when either of the outer connections is made live as far as the appropriate position. When its in position the limit switch opens and disconnects the motor.

Power is continually applied to the appropriate terminal of the motor according to the current boiler function. There is no feedback so the boiler does not know if its has successfully moved.

They virtually never fail by themselves. They usually fail as a result of water leaking into them and often blow the on board fuse.

Tony
 Alert Moderators
frankparkins

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:46 pm Reply with quote

Cheers for replying guys. I have seen the black box type too, but was mainly on about the motor's such as the ones in the Vaillant ecotect range or the worcester cdi range. Just wondered how they worked in heating / hot water mode.
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: