pitch roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi can any one help.i have started to build a pitch roof which will lean over a flat roof in place already. i never done this kind of work so need a bit of help in idiots guide fashion.

the roof measures from the top of the top wall plate to the facia with a little for overhang and guttering 2ft 6".

the tile size i hope to use is about wide=165mmxlengh 260mm.

i dont know what the angle is or to get that angle if it is majorly important for this smallish job.

what would the correct spacing be for the battons??
does any one have some top tips for some one willing to have ago.

thanks for any help colinView media item 33164

Sponsored Links
Without going in to lots of detail ....

It seems that you are using traditional tiles, so the minimum pitch is normally 35 degrees.

But for porches you may want to do something that 'looks right' or matches the main house roof - but sometimes steep pitches don't look right is they go too far up a wall towards say a bedroom window

If the roof is too small, you may want to extend the eaves overhang to give it a bit more presence

If going over a flat roof, be very careful at the eaves, as if the flat roof is already deep, then you end up with a massively deep fascia which looks odd.

Don't forget that you may need to kick the first row of tiles up with the fascia or a lath, to prevent it dipping down. If you are using traditional tiles then you need eaves tiles under the first row - and 'tile and a half' tiles for the verges

thanks for your help makes it a bit easier to understand than all that jargon talk. i will give it a go soon as i get some time.

thanks again

col

Sponsored Links
I would definitely extend the rafters past that flat roof fascia so that you end up with a fascia depth of about 150mm

cheers woody. would you advise cutting the line for the lead flash before the tiles go on.

and did you say start my first row with half tiles

and finally was there something about the type of tiles to use on the sides

cheers col

As Alastair says, chase and fit the lead first so that you are not messing about on top of the tiles.

Bend the lead to the correct angle as it will be when fitted, and bend the lip which will go into the wall - do all of this down on the ground working on a bit of timber. Fit the lead and then either repoint or use the lead pointing mastic, and then (when its gone off) carefully bend it up so that the tiles will go underneath. Then when all done, you only need to bend the lead down with a long bit of timber if you can't reach

The lead needs to be in lengths no more than 2m, and allow for a 100mm overlap with the adjacent piece

Remember that the tiles and lath will be 70mm or so above the rafters so allow for this when marking out where the lead chase needs to be. And you should really chase into the wall and remove the render behind the flashing - but if the render is sound and flat then you can cheat a little and leave it on behind the lead

woody, alastair, thanks for your help. i will have to delay starting this job now as something else more urgent has come up. but keep an eye out for me as im sure i will be shouting you both again when i get started .

cheers colin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back