Ideal HE24 F L not igniting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

So i have been searching this forum for the last hour and come to the conclusion i have (probably) the worst boiler in the world, an Ideal HE24.

I have no idea how old my boiler is. The house is a 1960 build so the boiler is relatively new (3 years?).

The boiler for the last year has been displaying "F L". It would run for a while, providing semi-par heat to keep the house warm (fortunately i have a coal fire).

However after running for a while it would stop and display "F L", hitting the reset would sometimes solve this and othertimes leaving the boiler for a couple of hours would solve.

Yesterday, the boiler pulled its normal F L party trick however this time we can't get it to come on.

• The PCB is the black, older, variation.
    I am concerned that removing the Condensate trap (to clean) will flood the boiler enclosure in water (The mains is in chocky-block mounted at the bottom of the enclosure)
    In an cupboard there is a header tank and a cylinder-type thing. The top of which is a electrical gizmo which is hot.
    In the same cupboard there is a selection of pipes and some sort of actuator that is wired to a fused spur (with an LED) - it has never had power.

Financial Status - Skint
Martial Status - Missus/3 yr old boy aren't impressed with the heating situation.

any help on the matter will be most appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
ok, so i took the time to actually stand infront of the boiler and listen/look to exactly wtf is going on.

-Power up
-Click and clonks (normal firing-up clicks and clonks)
-Display="c" Burner light = Flashing
-More clicks and clonks (Sounds like its trying again)
-bit of idle time...
-display="F L" burner light=constant

I would say that it has a fault!

What are you going to do next?

The usual solution would be to call a boiler engineer who will know how to fix it providing he has been chosen as someone who regularly fixes these models.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I would expect it to be more likely to be blocked at the base of the heat exchanger but thats an RGI job. Particularly if he has not been having it serviced regularly.

It could also have a blocked condensate drain and he could check that himself.

Tony

blocked condense trap

I agree, but have a bucket under the trap when removing it and make sure all electric to the boiler is off, as you will get a sudden full on 'shower' when removing the trap.

Thanks for taking the time to read/reply.

I will try the condensate trap this weekend and see if that solves the problem.

I won't try anything where i could potentially kill my family via CO2 due to dicking around with the boiler. It's not worth it!!

I may rip the boiler out (and the bathroom), my parents are considering paying to replace the lot.

Any suggestions on a new reliable boiler with ball-park prices?

It's a 3 bedroom house. 8 rads in total, one in every room.

The condensate trap is actually a combustion seal and when replaced HAS to have water in it otherwise fumes will go through the condensate pipework

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back