buzzing glowworm ultimate 30ff

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, my boiler is buzzing, it lights ok and when i start it up it stops buzzing, any ideas, all 4 of the lights work indicating no probs.
cheers
topbannana

Sponsored Links
There are all sorts of sounds from boilers which can be described as "buzzing".

The simplest one is mechanical resonance of the case and this is often stopped or reduced by thumping the case.

A mechanical stethescope can be used to find the particular component but care must be taken not to contact live parts.

Another cause can be the gas valve, sometimes from a partial failure of a solenoid coil.

Yet another cause can be a partial failure of the smoothing capacitor on the PCB causing the modulating coil to buzz at 100 Hz.

Anything to do with the gas valve should be dealt with by a CORGI registered engineer.

Tony Glazier

Things which buzz most often have coils in - the gas valve, fan, relays on the printed circuit board.
The first two of those shouldn't have any power on when the boiler isn't firing. You can test that easily enough if you can drive a multimeter (and the instructions!).

The pcb is covered, but you would expect to be able to feel or hear the noise at the cover

Sponsored Links
cost about 90 suid normally pcb on ultimate very reliable double check fan and gas valve[more likely] if it is pcb make note of wiring i normally cut and leave in situ rewire one at a time

The metal casing around the pcb is vibrating, could this still be the gas valve, if so whats the plan of attack
regards
topbannana

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back