Fitting a bath in place of shower tray.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey I have a bath to fit in place of a shower tray there's enough room in the bathroom to fit a 1500mm bath. The bathroom is already tiled, I guess I need to take a row of tiles off though so I can sink the bath in to the wall abit to get a good seal. I can imagine this will be tricky. Has any one got any experince of a similar sitution. There not wanting to re-tile the whole suite, just have a bath instead of the exsitingshower tray. Thank for any help.

Sponsored Links
Not totally necessary to remove any tiles to get a good seal. Fix a couple of 2x1" wood battens along the walls, just under the bath lip. Run a silicone seal all round the batten and sit the bath on top and fix bath to walls to secure. Then run a second silicone seal all around the bath edges to finish. :)

Ok, Thanks have you used this method before in a similar sitution? There wanting the shower leaving on the wall, do you think it will seal well enough with people getting showerd in it aswell?
What about securing the bath to the wall with L bracks. I won't be able to do this with the tiles in place.

Personally I would remove a row of tiles and sink the bath into the wall.

Then jackack the bath up to within 1/2" of the tiles and fill with mastic beore lifting the bath up to the tiles with the mastic ozing out (for a really good seal).

You can fit the L brackets underneath the bath.

Sponsored Links
Ok, Thanks have you used this method before in a similar sitution? There wanting the shower leaving on the wall, do you think it will seal well enough with people getting showerd in it aswell?
What about securing the bath to the wall with L bracks. I won't be able to do this with the tiles in place.

Done it a few times when removal of tiles not an option. I always prefer fitting steel baths rather than acylic - less likely to flex. L brackets can go underneath the bath.

Hey the rooms about 1685 with the tiles on. Would you think I'll be able to get a 1700 bath in? With only taking a row or two of tiles off? Thanks for any advise.

Hi, i'm about to do exactly the same thing - take a shower out and put a bath in. Luckily the room is long enough for a 1700 bath. I'm going to simply put the bath upto the existing tiles which run for half the length and will continue to take the water from the electric shower at one end. I'll fix through the tiles beneath the bath with the L brackets and use plenty of sealant. I may also use a batten beneath the lip of the bath - that was a really good idea.

Should only apply the mastic when the bath is full, therefore fully flexed and also not fix the L brackets to the wall either until this time?

MattStocker, have you got any spare tiles? I haven't got any so rather than risk trying to cut out a row of tiles with NO margin for error, i'm going with the easy(er) option.

Are you continuing your tiles for the full length of the bath?

I have no spare tiles no. But I will have a few to go at as theres all the ones that will now be under the bath i can hopefully re-use. Just hoping I can get a 1700mm in. The room is 1685 with the tiles on. So am hoping with taking a couple of rows off on one side and hopefully abit of plaster I'll be able to get the bath I. I think a 15000mm will look abit strange with the gap at the end. Does my plan sound ok to you people? Thanks for any more help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back