Help - Need new alarm but can't figure out sensors required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a modern house, supposedly pre-wired for an alarm but have some problems I need to solve before buying a panel.

The house has been wired 6 core in each downstairs room and the landing, and a fused spur in the cupboard ready for an alarm. Also have a 6 core out to a point on the wall for a siren.

Unfortunately there is no wiring at the front or back door for contacts.

Can I use the PIR wiring in the hall and kitchen where both doors are to install suitable sensors?

My worry is that the post will trigger an alarm if I use a PIR in the hall, and I assume both will need set to entry/exit zones?

I cannot easily fit wiring as the house is drywall with dot and dab and metal supports for the drywall, so unlikely I can get wiring down to the doors and down into the cupboard.

I'd prefer to use wired only but if no other solution is available I would be prepared to use something like the Homelink 55 with RF door contacts and the rest hard wired.

Sorry for the long post but I really need advice from you guys that have experience ;)

Sponsored Links
You can virtually always get a cable to places, just needs a bit of thought.

You could do that, with the correct panel and some fancy programming !

Sponsored Links
Lets suppose despite my careful thoughts I cannot get a wire to either door :(

What I want know is the best solution without wired contacts?

Lets suppose despite my careful thoughts I cannot get a wire to either door :(

What I want know is the best solution without wired contacts?
Use a panel that takes a wireless expander. That way you get to have wired on the majority of zones and wireless only on those you can't possibly/realistically stretch a wire to.

Thanks,

I have been looking at the Homelink 55 from Scantronics, so far it looks like it might be what I am looking for.

I would only use the wireless contacts on the doors and keep everything else hard wired.

Any others that anyone can recommend?

Can the i-on use an RKP as I have a wired point in the hall for one?

Galaxy, Texecom, Cooper M and or Scantronic. I believe Castle now as well all can do Hybrid systems.
Personal choice Galaxy. Then Ion (Scantronic).

Of the hybrid alarms mentioned, which would be the easiest to program?

I like the idea of the i-on using a standard web page interface to set it up.

What is it with programming with web based products?
All can be done at the keypad!

What is it with programming with web based products?
All can be done at the keypad!

Ditto

would probs say the ion, maybe even tex as this also has software for programming.

would also say that with most of the above mentioned, there wont be any manuals or support if your DIYing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back