Stopping weeds under fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if anyone has any bright ideas in stopping problem weeds from spreading from neighbours under the fence.

In our instance it's ground elder which sends horizontal rhizomes a few inches under the surface and is everywhere within a week or two of clearing every last scrap.

I'm realistic and expect to do regular hoeing for wind spreading weeds,
but some stuff will soon spread around the roots of your plants if unchecked.

Our part of the fence has the concrete gravel board sunk about 4 inches or so.
Their part isn't the strongest constructed fence to say the least.

I'm thinking of creating a lower barrier with either a piece of wood, or that anti weed matting that goes under gravel.

Sponsored Links
We're slowly blocking access to our veg beds by neighbors bamboo, trees etc by digging in sheets of builders membrane along the boundary, up to three spade depths in places. Stops their roots getting in and our water escaping. Hard work but works a treat.

We had a similar problem a couple of years ago with ground elder.

It seems to respond very well to Roundup - and one application seems to shift it.

How about spraying with Roundup then putting down a border of weed suppressant matting, then covering it with bark?

Best of luck
Robert

Thanks for the replies.
I'm going to put something down it's just a case of not being able to dig too deep near the posts without the fence coming down...

It's odd that the idea of suppressing weeds under the fence doesn't ever get mentioned when people are planning their fences.

Maybe it's a case of looking at your neighbours and deciding if they're lazy.

Sponsored Links
It's odd that the idea of suppressing weeds under the fence doesn't ever get mentioned when people are planning their fences.

Any sheet material that will not rot or degrade. tile backer boards are prob the cheapest way. Otherwise, grp roofing sheets cut into short sections and dug in. I have a similar problem in my garden and don't know if they are same weed that you have. They have runners all under the weed membrane.

glyphosate sprayed on the runners in your garden should kill the roots in theres.
You could always spray over the fence and kill it on their side too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back