HELP! Shower install and bath/taps replacement pipework.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Going round in circles getting different info and massive differences in "plumbers" costs to do the job so want to do it myself!

The Mrs wants a new shower - decided on Thermostatic - sorted, but still need to buy one.

I have a Combi Boiler - Ideal Mini C28 12 months old, 3.5 meters from where shower will be positioned, will be positioned above bath, above taps. Hot feed branching off existing hot pipe which runs from combi to bath hot tap and cold feed branching off existing cold pipe running from mains supply to bath cold tap.

Q1 - Is there anything I need to know in selecting a shower? flow rating, opperating pressure (anyone know what pressure the Mini C28 produces?)etc etc

Q2 - Pipework to bath hot tap is copper 22mm, do I need to continue the 22mm to shower or can i branch off a 15mm outlet to then run both hot and cold 15mm pipe to the shower.

Q3 - Installing a new bath also, is it essential to again have 22mm pipe all way to bath hot tap or can 15mm pipe or equivalent flexi pipe connectors be used from the 22mm.

Sponsored Links
Cheers kevplumb.

May sound stupid but how can i accurately check mains water supply pressure?

Boiler has a bar reading on front of 1.5 probably means nothing and water flow rate from any house cold tap is very forceful....

boiler gauge is for heating

by the sound of it you should be ok

try putting your thumb over the tap if you cant stop the water its good enough usually ;)

Sponsored Links
While you're at it, you should replace as much as you can of the existing 22mm hot pipework with 15mm. 22mm has the disadvantage (with the low flow rates from a Combi) of holding a large volume of cold water that has to be drawn off before the hot comes through.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back