virgin or sky to different rooms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i currently have a virgin box built into the fireplace wall in my living room feeding the telly above it, i'm building an extention and want to fit another telly in there so that the kids can watch something different to us, i'm not sure how to best do it, with virgin do i/can i connect into the back of the box and run a new cable to the extention and use another remote to change channels, or is there any mileage in changing to sky and if so would the second cable go from the box under the telly or from the dish, many thanks

Sponsored Links
"so that the kids can watch something different to us" ... If you use Virgin (or Sky) as your main TV source then you're out of luck. The boxes can only show one signal at once. You can send the same signal to multiple TVs, but you can't have BBC1 on one TV and Film4 on another both from the same box. Sky does something called Multiroom to solve this exact problem. It's an extra box & subscription though.

What you can do is wire for Freeview + VM (or Sky). That way you can choose to watch either Freeview or VM/Sky.

ChrisFrost";p="1963043 said:
"so that the kids can watch something different to us" ... If you use Virgin (or Sky) as your main TV source then you're out of luck. The boxes can only show one signal at once. You can send the same signal to multiple TVs, but you can't have BBC1 on one TV and Film4 on another both from the same box. Sky does something called Multiroom to solve this exact problem. It's an extra box & subscription though.

What you can do is wire for Freeview + VM (or Sky). That way you can choose to watch either Freeview or VM/Sky.[/quote

cheers, i will have a rummage about and get something

Surely you can duplex the system, as how cable TV/broadband is delivered..

Buy a second hand cable box, use a splitter, install 2nd box. May only receive primary channels on it though.

Pay for an extra box installed, I get cable broadband, and phone, and the offer was TV for £1 extra, even though I have Sky TV..but Sky TV was breaking down all the time..so Cable TV for a £1? I get channels on it that Sky TV don't.

Sponsored Links
Have you have heard of Dreambox :LOL:
Well they are against providers rules to use but you can share you subscription with 10 20 users in the house and over the internet to you friend and family if you want to :D

I come from italy and my fader he is the only one to pay for it. all 4 of us are getting it for free thanks to the internet.

But don't tell anyone :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back