Req: Hotpoint 9605 top loader wont spin?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My mother has a top loading 9605 which has recently had a new motor fitted.

The problem is that it washes fine but will not go into a spin?

On removing the back cover i noticed that the motor IS spinning when the \\\'spin\\\' is selected on the dial and the wheel holding the belt is trying to spin (anti-clockwise).

with the machine unplugged i attempted to spin the drum anti clockwise by hand but it wont budge but on turning the wheel below the motor holding the belt \\\'clockwise\\\' it moves the drum without any probs?

I thought it may be down to a couple of things, mainly mechanical:

Is there a safety feature which \\\'locks\\\' the drum and this is at fault?

Has the motor been wired incorrectly since a spin only goes one way?

I suppose the latter is unlikley due to the fact that when the motor was fitted it spun without any probs?

Or, some gears or bearings have seized since it does look pretty mucky and rusty below the drum?

Any advice would be greatfully recieved before she calls in a repair man. :)

regards

sjp.

Sponsored Links
there is a drum lock on these to stop the machine from spinning whilst lid is open , sometimes the white peg on the lid breaks off check this first

its a long shot, but was it a new motor? as the motor has clutch shoes which grip the sides and make the drum spin, clutch shoes may be worn / fallen off (but as i said unlilkley) some one mentioned on here the main power unit is now obsolete, i hope its not that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back