patio heater no plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I bought a patio heater from ebay,new 1200w red heat bulb. The item arrived but without a plug which was mentioned on the advert.No problem with that. I can put on a plug. But I was unsure what fuse to put in the plug and there was no mention of the fuse in the instruction guide , so thought I would drop them a email. Managed to look on line and found the general rule 15amp - 1500w, 20amp - 2000w, so fitted a 13amp fuse for a 1200w . Think thats right.
Got a message from the company replying today saying due to health and safety laws we are unable to provide a plug or any information about it as we recommend you get a certified electrician to fit the heater.

Do you need a certified electrician to fit a plug and fuse ?
only wanted to know what size fuse was req, which they should know?
Am I missing something

Sponsored Links
Managed to look on line and found the general rule 15amp - 1500w, 20amp - 2000w, so fitted a 13amp fuse for a 1200w . Think thats right.

You need to find a better source of information if you are in Europe The figures you have found are for 110 volt supplies as found in North America

In Europe the supply is 230 volts so current requirement is 1/4 of the current for the same power in the USA

On a 230 volt supply allow 5 amps for 1000 watts so for 1200 watts you need a 5.3 amp fuse. So fit a 10 amp (or 13 if the cable is rated at 12 amps )

A one kilowatt heater takes 4.4 amps at 230 volts. The same heater will take a bit more at 240 volts

Got a message from the company replying today saying due to health and safety laws we are unable to provide a plug or any information about it as we recommend you get a certified electrician to fit the heater.

That sounds very dubious. Are you sure this is from a reputable source and is fit for use on 230 volts ? I might be designed for the USA market and 110 volt supplies. It will burn out if connected to 230 volts.

Sponsored Links
In Europe the supply is 230 volts so current requirement is 1/4 of the current for the same power in the USA

I don't think so, Bernard!

Yes, I got it wrong. ( this time ) It is HALF the current. Blame a hard day and a half dead brain and typing without thinking....

If you put 230 volts onto a 1000 watt heater designed for 110 volts then you get 4 times the heat output ( 4000 watts ) for a short time.

Is this heater a freestanding item designed to be plugged in?
Or is it a wall mounted thing for permanent installation?

Hi there thanks for the advice, or most of it. The patio heater is a removable/ fixed lamp type, like a spot light. Just to add a bit of extra heat if req on a summers evening. the light is 220-240 volt. not American.thanks for your help. think I am there now. got a 13 amp fuse in there for now but will check the cable.

Although I'd agree the OP should put on his best animal fur and forage timber to burn we should not forget that the fuse in the plug is over current protection not overload protection.

So it's rating is based on the cable size and not the appliance rating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back