Dandelion infested lawn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My front and back lawn are steadily getting infested with dandelions.
Cropping the grass short doesn't help. Within a couple of days of sunshine, yellow dandelion heads are popping up!

There are too many of 'em to dig out.

Any tips, short of returfing? Would spraying with roundup weedkiller help? However, that might also kill the grass!

Mike

Sponsored Links
Use a weed killer intended for use on lawns, such as a weed & feed.
Some will also kill moss, so if you need it, select one that kills moss also.

You could always try a contact weedkiller, there are several on the market, it takes a bit of time but the results are usually quite good.

You could always try a contact weedkiller, there are several on the market, it takes a bit of time but the results are usually quite good.

Do you mean that I should use a spray that does not spread out and aim it at the dandelion? Ther is a nozzle selection on the "roundup" soray I bought last week.

Should I let the dandelions flower, then zap the yellow flowers?
Or cut short and zap the leaves at the base?

Sponsored Links
basicaly you either touch the weed with the applicator or a brush and the leaves absorb the weedkiller.

When I run out of Roundup I have used 'grotbuster' thick bleach. Just blob a generous dollop onto the centre of the plant and it will die. One advantage is that it is very accurate to deliver, but I do love my Roundup.

You could just leave them as they are and just cut off the spent heads before they go to seed.

The weedkillers are still going to leave you a dead plant to dig up aren't they?
It may be easier than digging up the root which can only be done after rain when the lawn is very wet and soft.
Those weedkiller adverts are mental.

Personally I like having nice yellow marigold-like flowers in my lawn, but can understand I wouldn't be popular with those neighbours who are trying to copy the green lawns off American tv and film if I let them spread everywhere ;)

Roundup is regarded as safe to use by the manufacturers where kids and pets play in the area, but who knows what problems could appear in the future, scientists said Paraquat was safe. N,B. Spraying should never be carried out in windy conditions.
The best way is to stop the plant from seeding so pick the flowers off as they appear. My preferred method is to use a long bladed knife and I insert the blade about 2 inches from the plant, at an angle and cut the tap root well below soil level. This method will eventually exhaust the plant and reasonable control can be achieved. The problem with Dandelions is they will be thriving somewhere very close to you and the parachutes will start soon, so they will always be a problem for the gardener.

Cropping the lawn short will not help, as it allows weeds / seeds to germinate. You need to eliminate the weeds, but dont cut the grass as short.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back