I'm re-plumbing my power shower, please check my list

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've decided to repair a botched shower install myself (long story, but this might give you some idea of it):

img8183c.jpg

(That's the cold feed to the pump you can see top left, the pump is 2 metres away at the end of the bath)

This is the current layout, I am running dedicted 22mm feeds from hot and cold (hot via Essex-style Techflange) and relocating the pump to the airing cupboard:

bathroom2.png

Here is the list, please could you check it and let me know if I've missed anything obvious?

The previous pump burnt out due to air from the hot vent pipe. I already have spanners and screwdrivers.

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
BUYing stillsons :eek: Hire them my friend - They just don`t get used - only a 36" set I keep for immersion heaters ;) Hope it helps a bit - I just haven`t got the brain power to check lists :oops: Never have had . Just winged it all the time . Hire the bender too , and don`t despair if the pipe wrinkles a bit - it`s thin as baco foil nowadays

BUYing stillsons :eek: Hire them my friend - They just don`t get used - only a 36" set I keep for immersion heaters ;) Hope it helps a bit - I just haven`t got the brain power to check lists :oops: Never have had . Just winged it all the time . Hire the bender too , and don`t despair if the pipe wrinkles a bit - it`s thin as baco foil nowadays

Thanks Nige. I'll leave out the Stillson and hire one if I need to.

Regarding the pipe bending, is bending 22mm over the knee feasible in reality? Or will it end in tears?

I don’t intend checking your itemised list for accuracy of quantities but here are a few observations;

• I would go for the STM 2 Bar rather than 1.5 Bar; assuming your going for the standard positive head pump, what is the distance from the underside of your CWS tank to the shower head (static head). You need a minimum un-pumped flow rate of 1 litre/min (0.6 for STM) at the shower head to trigger the flow switches.
• Doesn’t look like it but can you confirm that you will not be using up & over pipes to feed the shower.
• 22mm pump feed from the CWS tank should come from the opposite end to the tank mains infeed to reduce aeration in the CW supply.
• If you’re buying a set of pipe benders, why do you need the bending springs; the 22mm is real a pig to use anyway!
• For showers it’s always best to use bends & connect with a straight coupling rather than use elbows which reduce flow.
• I appreciate it may be a problem with the existing 15mm in place & possibly with the shower you have but I always use 22mm pipe from the pump up to the mixer, reducing to 15mm to the shower head.
• Personally I only ever use copper & solder fit, I never use push fit & certainly not in my own home. Call me a luddite but I don’t like or use plastic either.
• Search around the internet, there are much cheaper suppliers than the ones you’ve picked, including the tools ;)

Sponsored Links
I don’t intend checking your itemised list for accuracy of quantities but here are a few observations;

• I would go for the STM 2 Bar rather than 1.5 Bar; assuming your going for the standard positive head pump, what is the distance from the underside of your CWS tank to the shower head (static head). You need a minimum un-pumped flow rate of 1 litre/min (0.6 for STM) at the shower head to trigger the flow switches.
• Doesn’t look like it but can you confirm that you will not be using up & over pipes to feed the shower.
• 22mm pump feed from the CWS tank should come from the opposite end to the tank mains infeed to reduce aeration in the CW supply.
• If you’re buying a set of pipe benders, why do you need the bending springs; the 22mm is real a pig to use anyway!
• For showers it’s always best to use bends & connect with a straight coupling rather than use elbows which reduce flow.
• I appreciate it may be a problem with the existing 15mm in place & possibly with the shower you have but I always use 22mm pipe from the pump up to the mixer, reducing to 15mm to the shower head.
• Personally I only ever use copper & solder fit, I never use push fit & certainly not in my own home. Call me a luddite but I don’t like or use plastic either.
• Search around the internet, there are much cheaper suppliers than the ones you’ve picked, including the tools ;)

Many thanks for the detailed reply.

- It's a positive head pump, the pump is going in the airing cupboard. The static head (which I think is between the bottom of the cold tank and the shower valve?) is well over 1500mm. My last pump had no problems in this regard.

- If you mean pipes back up into the loft from the pump, then back down to the shower, then no. The pipes will be going straight into the shower mixer from the airing cupboard.

- Gotcha, only it'll have to be from 90 degrees, as taking it from opposite end will be difficult due to the proximity of the wall to the side of the cylinder opposite to the main feed.

- Don't know...I just supposed that the springs were so cheap. When you say 'pig', do you mean extremely difficult, or just mildly annoying? Just debating whether to forgo the benders and try it with springs. I've only got a few bends to make.

- Note regarding bends versus elbows.

- I'll read the Mira Pace ev instructions and check how easy it will be to go 22mm--> 15mm at the last minute. Assuming all ok I will go 22mm as much as possible.

- Solder means I have to buy a load of solder and a burner. No dice, I'll just burn everything, but I understand the sentiment!

- Re: suppliers, someone recommended Plumb Base, but I just looked at their catalogue and the shower pump for example (Salamander CT50 1.5 bar) is like £80 more than it is as Screwfix! Stuart Turner pumps just take the proverbial, big time.

Thanks again. I've just drilled the hole for the 22mm to come through the roof so there's no turning back now :p.

Don't know...I just supposed that the springs were so cheap. When you say 'pig', do you mean extremely difficult, or just mildly annoying? Just debating whether to forgo the benders and try it with springs. I've only got a few bends to make.

With a set of benders you'll never use a spring again. I have done 22mm bends with a spring over the knee, but you have you bend very carefully or the pipe tears, and leave sufficient length either side to get leverage, and then getting the spring back out again can be a struggle.

Don't know...I just supposed that the springs were so cheap. When you say 'pig', do you mean extremely difficult, or just mildly annoying? Just debating whether to forgo the benders and try it with springs. I've only got a few bends to make.

With a set of benders you'll never use a spring again. I have done 22mm bends with a spring over the knee, but you have you bend very carefully or the pipe tears, and leave sufficient length either side to get leverage, and then getting the spring back out again can be a struggle.

That's me convinced. Someone suggested I hire them, but the fact that there's no hire station near me, combined with the fact that daily prices aren't that far off new means I'm going to swallow the cost and buy new from B&Q or something.

Edit - toolbox has them for £20.

A budget bender set of benders from a flea bay shop will do you, forget the springs; they were a good idea 40 years ago before cheap China prods & a set of benders would cost you the earth but not now.
Re: suppliers, someone recommended Plumb Base but I just looked at their catalogue and the shower pump for example (Salamander CT50 1.5 bar) is like £80 more than it is as Screwfix!
PB are OK if you need something on the quick & someone else is paying the bill but, TBH, I think they are a joke in more ways than the prices they charge! Screwfix are very convenient for delivery & do have some keen prices but you can do better if you shop around.
Stuart Turner pumps just take the proverbial, big time.
Don’t dismiss ST; for sure they are more expensive but IMO they are streets ahead the of the rival pumps, including Sally & they run quieter; your not looking hard enough to get good prices.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back