Please help!!!! I have used lead solder all over the place!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi! forum members and thanks to be here...
i'm awaiting for a baby and so I'm converting the current bathroom into a single bedroom for my little one due in June. So I am cutting part of the kitchen and convert it to a bathroom instead, and move the actual kitchen to the other side of the room... :(

I now over worried!!! I have decided to change some radiator position in the house and moved few into other places in the room. I have worked as a goldsmith in my early age and I'm an electronics engineer and so I knew how to weld copper no problems ( and never read any tutorial how to do it)
I have used a solder witch it contain lead... ( I have found it in the garage and the writing was all coved of dirt). early on I was looking for some advice on how to bend pipes and all other stuff!!! and found out about the danger that exposure to lead may occur.
Well!!!! I have used lead on my whole house (gas pipes, central heating pipes, drinking water :( , I never washed my hands.... breath the fumes... helped to bend the tip with my mouth,... and god knows what!!!
What should I do? am I going to die ???
Also would you replace all drinking water pipes and do it again? or just cut a slice and rejoin with lead free solder?
I'm worried about my family too now...
P.S.
Sorry about this first post... I got so much to do in the house at the moment :)
Thank you

Sponsored Links
You got any plumbers metal in that garage?...........used to suck on them sticks like a lolly pop. :p

Sponsored Links
I got plenty of metal left over from the previous owner!!! and other crap... I've made about £800 just by selling some of the antic full of spider nets furnitures (listed on ebay for a £1 on hope for a free removal).... god know what else valuable there is in there :) once I'm done with this project the garage will be next... (oh no!!! there is corrugated asbestos roof but I'll open another thread LOL)

Back on question.... what would you do if you where me? my eyes are hurting now :eek: :D

Can I use my lead free maplin solder instead?

Simple don't worry about, but don't use it in the future other than for heating.

Been using lead for over 50 years and still got some for repair jobs.

Completely illegal to use it on potable water now so don't tell anyone.

Now asbestos that will kill you long and painfully, so either leave it alone or get an expert in at great cost.

Someone who claims to have worked as a goldsmith is unaware of the hazards of breathing ( any ) molten metal fumes ?

Simple don't worry about, but don't use it in the future other than for heating.

Been using lead for over 50 years and still got some for repair jobs.

Completely illegal to use it on potable water now so don't tell anyone.

Now asbestos that will kill you long and painfully, so either leave it alone or get an expert in at great cost.

It's asbestos cement sheet, not loose asbestos.

After using so much lead, there can be only one conclusion: you are dying. I recommend drinking loads of cider. The acidic residue from the apples may help to alleviate the problem, and if that doesn't do it, the alcohol will help to numb the pain.

The bad new is that lead is toxic.

The good news is (and not many people know this) that the human body can easily dispose of small amounts of lead.
Our bodies naturally emit it as waste through our nails and hair.
Very clever eh? :cool:

Servotech,

The thing you really need to worry about is the work you did on your gas pipes. Your whole family could be at risk of...

death_logo.jpg

...The good news is (and not many people know this) that the human body can easily dispose of small amounts of lead.
Our bodies naturally emit it as waste through our nails and hair.
:cry: Not much hope for me then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back