DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Worcester Bosch combi boiler - I have a leak!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
bramhig

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:40 pm Reply with quote

I had a new boiler fitted 2 and a half years ago....we had major renovations done to the house. they attached the new boiler onto the existing pipe work....apparently, they took the two old boilers out.....to put the new one in and never checked the pressure from the old ones. Once they started the boiler up, the pressure kept dropping, they filled it with leak sealers.....they put loads in.......he started to hold a little more, as it was dropping every 24 hours to 0 bar. that was in the October, then we had the heating on constantly for the winter and all was fine....it may have dropped on a few occasions, but I topped it up if looked to low as we didn't want it to cut out. i got the plumber and builders back last spring when the boiler started dropping considerably again......they put more leak sealer in. it started to hold a bit better, but was still dropping but not as regularly, once a week it would go down to 0. I was told it was like finding a needle in a haystack and should keep an eye out for a leak. Over the last 8 months there is a water mark showing on an internal wall above the skirting board....its the only water mark I have seen and assume this is where the leak is....builders think its damp.....I'm not convinced. Any tips on using more leak sealers, which is their suggestion? can you use too much? which is the best? any other ideas on how to show where the leak is? I am still topping the boiler up on a daily basis., as it drops to 0 bar...can this damage it? I've heard it can get to much oxygen in the system? please help....at the end of my tether! thanks
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
ChrisR

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:55 pm Reply with quote

That's quite a big leak and your boiler will now be full of leak sealer goo and sludge.
Listen through a mechanical stethoscope for the leak ( eg a stick of wood, or a hammer...)
Dig hole
Find leak under floor
Use something like Kamco FX-2 to clean the system with a flushing machine
find the new leaks and fix those
flush with water
add inhibitor
Simple - not.
 Alert Moderators
bengasman

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:28 pm Reply with quote

Was it an open vent system before?
Have you checked the prv?
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: