Slate verge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the middle of a re-roof on a victorian brick-built semi. The old roof had no overhang on the gable end and used barge boards with a capping board. I have asked for an overhang to be added, which has been achieved using wider slates at the gable ends. The roofer has replaced the barge board (which sits against the brickwork - there is no outer roof spar) and provided a 50mm overhang beyond the face of the barge board. The slates have been nailed into the top edge of the barge board. Only the front of house has been completed so far.

I am now concerned because no undercloak was added, and a dry verge system was not used. This means there are small gaps between the slates and the barge board (and some larger gaps of about and inch) where wildlife and wind can enter.

Should I be concerned or will this be okay?

Sponsored Links
Probably a few divided opinions on this one.

The way he has done it in my opinion is acceptable, but i would run a neat bead of black mastic after slating to close in the small gaps you are talking about.

The pros of doing it the way he has done it is that it is maintanence free and very often in a mortar/undercloak slated verge the cement cracks and falls out in time as there isnt a lot for the mortar to grip too

The cons are it dosent look quite as good.

I am unaware of a dry verge slate system but i could be wrong.

sorry to but in...

I have synthetic slates with a mortar verge, it has always been troublesome, cracking and bits falling out.

I think a modern dry verge is preferable, only trouble is I don't want half my roof taken off to fit it :(

Sponsored Links
If you say only half the roof is completed, he is probably waiting to finish the other side before filling the gables with mortar at the end, might be wrong but its the way some roofers use. I've used the dry verge before and can recommend it so maybe suggest to him using it? As its usually fitted after the roof is slated anyway!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back