Ripped roofing felt: patch up with tape?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
While I was up in the loft last evening, fitting some loft insulation, I noticed a 6 inch rip in the roofing felt. I could view the roof tiles through it.

There is no evidence of water ingress. Can I safely patch this up with duck tape or do I need a more watertight solution?

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't use tape, there are plenty bitumen products out there. You can buy bitumen on a roll which you heat it with a blowlamp or use something like High Performance Acrylic Roof Coat which have fibres built-in to bridge the gap up to 10mm wide and doesn't matter if the joint is wet. Available from Wickes.

You can buy fibreglass webbing tape the type plasterers use and then paint over it with the bitumen based pain/coatings

Sponsored Links
I can guarantee that there would be a dozen other places where rain would seep in if there were no tiles but they are not so apparent......why bother at all! if your roof covering is sound.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back