How do i fill & bleed Megaflow central heating pipework?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have released water pressure in central heating pipework to allow me to blank off radiator pipes below floor for radiator position not being used and extended pipework at another position to allow me to fit a larger radiator.How do i refill & bleed central central heating pipework? I know very little about this system,i.e how it works so please keep it simple if possible.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I take it you have a pressurised system.
You should look for a filling look, this will contain some sort of slotted screw or small handle (like a washing machine tap) that you can increase the pressure. Also should have a pressure dial fitted nearby to gauge pressure.
Could be by the megaflow cylinder or the central heating boiler.
Hope it helps.

I take it you have a pressurised system.
You should look for a filling look, this will contain some sort of slotted screw or small handle (like a washing machine tap) that you can increase the pressure. Also should have a pressure dial fitted nearby to gauge pressure.
Could be by the megaflow cylinder or the central heating boiler.
Hope it helps.

Thanks for getting back to me.I have looked and found the red pressure vessel with the metel braided pipe and the two washing type valves (filling loop) together with the pressure gauge on top,so i guess a pressurised system then.
When i open both valves i guess it will allow water to go into central heating system,and indicate air pressure within the top part of the vessel on the gauge.What is the procedure to follow as i start to fill the system with water and where do i bleed any air from to ensure no airlocks?
My heating is turned off, but am i still o.k to have the hot water selected on?
My boiler is a Worcester Bosch 30 cdi condensing boiler.Is the pump contained within here and will this also have to be bleed as several heating pipes have been disconnected.
Sorry for so many questions but money is tight and i need to try to sort this myself.

Many thanks.

Ideally you shouldn't have your heating or hot water on if its not working properly.

Leave heating off. Increase pressure in system to about 1.5bar. Vent radiator starting with lowest. If pressure goes return to vessel and increase again. Vent all rads until full. Maintain pressure of around 1/1.5bar. Turn system on, heating and hot water. Run for 5mins, switch off and pressure system again. Noise should quieten. Continue to operate normal checking pressure in about 24 hours. Many still have some air in.

For air locks, turn all radiation off by the valves upstairs. This forces the circuit downstar. If rads downstairs are still come, turn all but 1 rad off opening 1 each time the rad gets hot.

Hope this helps

Sponsored Links
That's for responding quickly.Is the central heating pipework/system effected when the boiler running to heat up the hot water.The gauge behind the lower flap on my boiler is at the bottom (red band).What pressure is this indicating?

Many Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back