Renault Clio Limp Mode / Blowing sound

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i was hoping someone could give me some advise please? i have a 1.2 16v Clio II Dynamique on a 2001 plate shes done about 105000 miles. Over the past few weeks, i have been experiencing various issues if these are all connected I'm unsure. First the car started to cut out and generally lose power it slowly got worse. When i plugged in a diagnostics tester it showed a fault with the 02 sensor, when i took it to the garage they tested her and they said that the CPU is throwing false readings and that the throttle housing needed cleaning which is why the car is sluggish and lack of power - when i got the car back she worked for a short time but never 100%, then i noticed that i had an oil leak, i took her to a different garage and later found out the other garage had cracked the manifold????
Now i have a blowing sound coming from the right hand side of the engine and the cars performance is almost nil, when she is stationery its like sitting on a bus, she judders and jolts and sounds just like a bus :cry: her fuel consumption just under 35mpg and when i start the car it heavily smells of flumes. If you look at the engine when you start her up the engine vibrates and moves alot, i've had someone look over her and everything is bolted as it should be and just could not see the reason for the movement.
Only a few weeks ago i changed the spark plugs, HD Leads and air fitter these issues have got worse since these parts were changed, I've also noticed that i'm losing oil again as i'm having to top up every day or so, if its left more than two days it can be bone dry and the engine management light come on (not flashing) but no oil warning light and i still get the OIL OK when you start the engine!!! but can't see where, i'm guessing she might be burning it?
Can anyone please advise to what the problem is if it is serious and any idea on how much it might cost?
Thank you Jonesy

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Fumes and blowing sound points to exhaust/ exhaust manifold leaking.

If you still have a fault code for the oxygen sensor (lambda sensor) this may also be due to the leaking exhaust.

EDIT1: The vibrations would point to a misfire in one or more of the cylinders. Recheck your spark plugs and look for wet unburnt fuel, this will indicate that this cylinder is no longer able to burn the fuel.

Try a different spark plug/leads

Back