Boiler Flue Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

Our neighbours are having an extension built and their building regs guy has told them they need to ask us nicely to move or extend our boiler flue pipe. Basically it comes straight out the boiler and through the external wall (total pipe length approx 1.5ft). Very old valliant boiler.

The building regs guy led us to believe its a simple job we can do ourselves by buying an extension kit and taking the pipe around the back of the house, however after a bit of research it seems its not that simple and could be dangerous.

Can anyone advise? We want to be helpful to our neighbours but not at great expense. I have a local gas engineer should i call him?

Thanks an advance

Sponsored Links
The building regs guy is, not surprisingly, a complete idiot.
Any work on any flue of any gasappliance should be done by a RGI.
Furthermore, it is illegal to flue a boiler over a neighbour's private property, end of.

Thanks for the reply.

We didnt fit the boiler as far as i know its been in for 15 years (we've only lived there for 2).

So basically would it be possible for a RGI to make these changes or are we looking at a new boiler?

You don't have to do anything. The party that wants to change the existing situation has to make sure it is done safely and legally.

Oddly enough, although it seems your boiler was installed contravening the regs, the fact that it has been there for more than 10 years has given it a sort of common law permission comparable by right of way over private land.

It always pays to stay on good terms with one's neighbours, and sorting this amicably would be best for all involved. Nevertheless, if they want to build something, the onus is on them to do it right.

As long as it is altered in a way that complies with the current regs ( all of them ) and both parties are happy, it does not matter what the previous situation was.

Which Vaillant is it?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply!

I have emailed my local gas engineer and will see what he says.

Apologies its not a Valliant (no idea where i got that from) its a Saunier Duval SD620f. I have spoken to a RGI and he's going to look into what can be done.

Just out of interest if we cannot move the pipe, is the only solution they have not to build as close to it?

We didnt fit the boiler as far as i know its been in for 15 years (we've only lived there for 2).

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I had one in my first flat back in 1985. Best of luck finding a flue extension.

I doubt you'll get a flue extension for that, bit too obsolete I'm afraid. Either they'll have to not build as close to it, or you'll need a new boiler that you can find an acceptable flue route for. There is no requirement at all for you to pay for anything though, if they're determined that they want to build where they originally planned of course they could just buy you a shiny new boiler...

If your neighbour wants their extenstion then you could get a new boiler out of them if you play your cards right!

You don't have to do anything. The party that wants to change the existing situation has to make sure it is done safely and legally.

Ben may not be right here!

It all depends on whether your boiler is legally permitted to discharge where it does!

If it discharges over your neighbours land then that was never permissable when it was installed. All your neighbour needs to do is to give you reasonable notice to move it to discharge over your own land ( for the first 2.5m as well! ).

Having said that a Sonya Duval by now is well beyond its usual life span which can be as short as 2-3 years from new!

I once saw one dumped in a B&Q car park so stopped to see what year it was and it was only 2.5 years old !

Can you post a photo of your flue or describe VERY clearly where its fitted in relation to land ownership?

Basically flues can only legally discharge over your OWN land and that has to be for a clear 2.5 m for a condensing boiler, not specified for a non condensing boiler like yours but perhaps 1.5 m would be a good guess.

Tony

...If it discharges over your neighbours land then that was never permissable when it was installed. All your neighbour needs to do is to give you reasonable notice to move it to discharge over your own land ( for the first 2.5m as well! ).
Not after condoning it for 15+ years Tony.

Certain rights can be obtained over occupation of property or use of an access after 12 years of continual use.

But can you demonstrate any legal case law demonstrating any prescriptive rights being obtained from discharging POC over someone elses land?

The answer will be no!

Tony

Thanks for the replies its much appreciated!

I know it seriously needs replacing but its on our to-do list with a re-wire etc. :(

Were just going to tell them it cannot be done and see what they come up with. Im pretty sure the buidung regs guy has told them they cant build too near to it. It is on our land ie (my building stops 1ft before the boundry but it does discharge on their land.) We really want to help them but we cannot afford a new boiler right now

...But can you demonstrate any legal case law demonstrating any prescriptive rights being obtained from discharging POC over someone elses land?
There is precedent on this Tony. It is as bizarre as precedent on trespass.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back