Constant slow trickle of water coming from outflow pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a potterton boiler, about 4 years old. It has an outflow pipe (hopefully the right name) that goes from the boiler to outside. It's always leaking a small amount of water - a constant slow stream of water.

I am not sure if this is normal, or what I could do to reduce it. The pipe comes out right at the bottom of my entry steps, and so there is a constant wet area, and its starting to stain the wall in a very unsightly way.

The pressure in the boiler does slowly reduce over time, but we can easily top this up.

Anyway, can anyone give a quick diagnosis? I can call out british gas under my service contract, but I always like to have an idea of what might be wrong before I speak to people.

Thanks

kmmr

Sponsored Links
Your best bet is to call out an engineer, especially as you have cover in place.
Sounds like a very simple fix, topping up your boiler with water is conveniant, but adds only water, which will eventually destroy your system.

Al

Sponsored Links
Your best bet is to call out an engineer, especially as you have cover in place.
Sounds like a very simple fix, topping up your boiler with water is conveniant, but adds only water, which will eventually destroy your system.

Al

I have them booked in to look at it on Thursday. I will prepare for the inevitable 'you should really get a powerflush' conversation!

ok- tried central heating and it doesn't seem to move (the pressure).

It's a Potterton Performa 24.

There also appears to be a bit of a wet patch below it - coming from the right side of the boiler. Looks like a leak - will have them look at that too. BG came out only last week and replaced the pump and the temperature sensor. The boiler had been overheating for some reason.

I am not sure if he actually diagnosed what was wrong, or just replaced the parts. The overheating problem is very intermittent (like once a month) so it may or may not come back.

cbg guy will find leak chance are the prv passing and not concted proerly
the expasion vessel should be fine as pressure guage does not move up
and over heating does bottom your rads get warm?

cbg guy will find leak chance are the prv passing and not concted proerly
the expasion vessel should be fine as pressure guage does not move up
and over heating does bottom your rads get warm?

The radiators are new and heat up evenly. There are only 2, the rest of the place is underfloor heated. There is a problem with the underfloor in that the second zone isn't heating up. Could it be related?

We are in a bit of a dispute with the underfloor heating installers, so if it's actually a boiler problem that would be interesting. They can't work out why one zone isn't working.

Whole system, including pipes, radiators, UFH, have been replaced in the last six months. Other than the actual boiler.

under floor heating is not my specialty i am afraid
but reason some thing does not come on is due two these reasons
one their problem with the flow
two no demand due to faulty compent or wired up wrong

ask bg engineer is upto spec for that what it being asked to do
if he say no asking for boiler gc number and reason
post them on here for second opion

Thanks for all the help, I will post what BG say on Thursday.

I believe that the UFH problem isn't to do with the flow, but with demand. There are two zones, and one heats up perfectly, and the other (right next to it in the other end of the room) doesn't heat up properly. It's a clear line on the floor where the heating stops.

There is only one thermostat, as it was decided late in the installation that one is enough as it's one large room, but perhaps a second one is needed.

What type of person is the right one to deal with questions like that? Normal plumber, or some kind of heating engineer. The installers are being less than helpful...

You clearly need someone to diagnose the problem.

Unfortunately some are better than others.

If your cover will expend to the UFH then ask the BG man but it probably does not extend to install faults.

It may just need balancing!

Tony

BG do not cover underfloor heating.
I would suspect the guy who changed the pump used the prv to drain the boiler/system and it never reseated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back