Wall abutting public footpath/pavement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Hi guys,
my first post as a newbie. Can anyone answer my question. I am about to start digging the footings for a side extension on my garage. The side wall comes right out to the pavement, how do I dig the trench? I know the wall should be located centrally on the concrete so do I dig under the pavement up to the concrete level and hope the tarmac pavement edge stays in place until I have the concrete base in, or do I dig up the pavement (obviously with area marked off for safety) and then re-tarmac it afterwards.

Sorry if this sounds a bit thick, but any advice welcomed

Cheers

StuartK

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=272160#ixzz1KnpgLYRU

Sponsored Links
You cannot touch the pavement! It's part of the public highway, only registered contractors are allowed to work on it. I would suggest you contact the Highways Dept at the council before doing anything else.

If you undermine the pavement and it collapses then you could be in line for a massive compensation claim from the Council, and should anybody be injured as a result then I wouldn't want to be in your shoes.....

A cautionary tale :!: Local Council here have just started proceedings to track down the owner of a building who, after carrying out major works, left the building in an unsafe condition. The Council had to arrange for emergency shoring up, then go to Court for permission to install safety measures. The bill so far is over £30K, the Council are now trying to locate the buildings owner to recover their costs.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back