Overflow into expansion tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Potterton Kingfisher Mf 40-100, installed late 2001. CH is pumped. Hot water is gravity fed. Return for both is piped via the pump, which I suspect results in increased resistance to the HW only flow. Some kettling noise, which I suspect is due to limescale build up in the boiler, although I live in a predominently soft water area. Kettling appears greater when boiler set to HW only. System has been chemically cleaned within the last year, all radiators removed and flushed out and pipework flushed separately (not power flushed). Noise reducer and inhibitor added subsequently.

Problem - when set to HW only, system appears to 'boil' and expels hot water into expansion tank within a few minutes. This is accompanied by considerable amount of banging within the pipes. To confirm, this doesn't happen when both CH & HW is on.

Both the thermistor and potentiometer have been replaced by a qualified CH engineer. However, this hasn't provided a resolution to the problem.

Help / advise anybody please.

Sponsored Links
It needs cleaning with something that dissolves limescale; "normal" chemical flush won't do that.

Two Choices........

1) New H/Ex or
2) Remove and De-Scale

TBH though your still going to has an out-dated and inefficient system !

Good Luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back