wallpaper! cutting when wet..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
bought some wall paper over the weekend. (Usually use the paste the wall as its far easier; however..)

Anyone have aay tips on trimming the paper for skirts etc without the paper tearing. I have been given one of those Harris rulers (two planes, one set at 30Deg to the 1st). I use a stanley knife to trim the paper but end up having to swap blades every two or three runs as it ends up tearing the wet paper. and ruining 2400mm of paper...

Am I leaving the paper to soak for too long? (10 mins)
Using the wrong tools? (what else is there? - and I've tried those wheeled cutters (blunt in 2 shakes), and dont fancy one of those "I can't belive its running its THAT quiet!" electric trimmers you see on CUcomingTV...)

A trade tip (or two) would be very welcome!

Cheers Guys

Sponsored Links
Most Stanley knife type blades will not last long trying to cut wet wallpaper and will as you found out soon start to drag and tear the paper. The best way is to get a large pair of decorators scissors and run the back of the blade along to form a crease first and then pull it carefully from the wall and cut in long clean strokes.These scissors can easily be resharpened as well with a few strokes of a Diamond file or a quick run on a Bench Grinder.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back