Inhibit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have been Googling around but am unable to find the answer to a simple question.

Have just installed an Accenta Mini Gen4. One of the options is 'Inhibit.' In layman's terms, what exactly does this mean in relation to setting up the system? In my mind, it means a zones is not working! But does that mean it is switched off?

Thanks,

Rex

Sponsored Links
Basically if the panel is set and an inhibit zone is triggered it will set the alarm off.

If the panel is in entry mode and the zone is triggered t will not set the alarm off.

This would be used on a hall pir for example where opening the front door would trigger the entry exit zone on the door contact, and start the entry mode. As you walk through the door the PIR will be triggered but you don't want the alarm to go off.

Thanks for your reply.

Not sure that I understand; I don't have a door contact, just a PIR pointing into the entry hall. It is immediately above the RKP and is certainly activating when I enter the door.

This is currently (I believe) set to Entry with 30 seconds delay; should it be set to Inhibit?

Rex

Sponsored Links
Now set to Inhibit and the alarm does not activate when entering.

Thanks,

Rex

In that case make the zone as a timed zone.

Missed the bit about no door contact.

Should have mentioned that the zone is Entry/Exit, Inhibited and timed for the entry/exit.

Thanks

Rex

OK, I'll take the Inhibit off, but I'm still totally unclear as to what Inhibit actually does or means in an alarm context.

Rex

simple really (to those of us who do it for a living i know)

timed /terminate, usually the door you go out of when you have set your alarm, and the door you come into to unset the alarm.

inhibit; a zone or circuit that will not trip the alarm system when you are setting and or un setting the alarm

but will trigger the alarm if the system is set and that particular circuit/zone is activated.

so in other words;

zone one; your front door contact, timed / terminate / final door
zone two; hallway pir, inhibit / access / entry
zone three, dining room alarm / instant
and so on

got it now ??

Oasis

always a good idea to read the book that comes with the alarm system!!!

Thanks for the explanation.

As it happens, the two books that come with the alarm are the User Guide and the Engineer's Set-up Manual. The later assumes that an engineer knows what Inhibit is and in my opinion, the explanation for a newcomer is somewhat obscure.

I don't have a front door contact, just a PIR above the front door, pointing towards the hall. This is because I do not want letters activating the alarm! So I guess the above PIR does not need Inhibit?

Foolishly, I did not put a RKP in the garage, which has remote opening, but it does have a PIR. To get from the garage to the front door RKP, I go though the Utility (PIR); the kitchen (PIR); and would probably be picked up by the Living Room (PIR.)

If I set the entry/exit time to allow the garage to open/close and give me time to get to the front door, would I set the above PIRs to Inhibit?

Rex

One, the engineer IS SUPPOSED TO KNOW. As a newcomer and not an enginner, your comments are a tad poor.
TWO, your design is totally flawed. A door contact is always advisable. A PIR will not always pick up letters.

Three, yeah set all to inhibit. Then anyone can run thru your property for the entry time and nothing will happen. Bet your sounders are on delay too.

Do yourself a favour and get someone in who knows something about alarm systems.

Otherwise the 65 quid you just spend would have been better off on a good meal out.

No worries, you seemed to be runnnign in circles and your system design is not going to catch many (any) intruders as it is.

I think it will catch intruders; all the PIRs activate the alarm. And frankly, I don't imagine that too many are going to try the front door when the back is well hidden from view; hence my reason for not fitting a door contact.

I'm more concerned with visual deterrents, and hopefully, the bell box and strobe will do the trick.

The major omission, in my opinion, was not wiring a second RKP in the garage. It would be possible to get the wire to about 1m of the control box, but as it is a new build in the later stages of second fix, how to get the cable, neatly, from the floor to the control panel is the issue.

Rex

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back