did not unreel cable properly and now it a twisted mess help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just run some new 3 core T&E for a new 2 way switch in my room. The original switch wiring is 1.0mm the 3 core to join the switches is 1.5mm will the difference in wiring thicknesses cause a problem?

Also - unfortunately i did not unreel the cable off the reel properly and now the cable is a twisted mess . Is it safe to use? - should i pull the cable out and start over, throwing the cable in the bin?

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
No particular problem using larger cable.

If you disconnect the cable, you can gather it up into a coil again, then unwind it properly.

Be sure to fix it to the surface properly with cable clips. You may struggle finding 1.5 3 core+e clips.
2.5 twin+e clips will do fine.

Hi

I tried re winding a test piece ~6 metres and i found myself constantly re twisting the cable to get it "flat"

Is it unsafe twisted ..?

I had it laid flat on the floor and as i threaded it though the ceiling void the cable came off in spiral turns now as i look at it, it looks like a twisted thread and this worrys me

It happens all the time. There is no problem straightening it out. it's hard to explain but rather than working the twists out of the cable you need to untwist the whole length of cable if that makes sense.

I don't think there is any real great danger in having cable twisted, but it is better to have it straight.

Sponsored Links
@RF Lighting; yep your right it makes no sense lol..

It will be a real pain in the *** to remove all the cable and re'reel it (if thats a word). So if it perfectly safe i am inclined to leave it..

I am just concerned that the cable may be damaged internally but I presume that the cables inside the sheath have some flexibility to move independently and its rather thick cable.

Bottom line is ... would you guys remove 8 metres of cable with all hassle of re threading new cable through joists etcre'reel it and redo.

I would straighten it out if I had the chance.
Remember, you would only have to disconnect one end.

Personally yes I would remove it and straighten it. You should be able to work the twists out with the cable in situ.

It should only take five or ten mins to do 8 meters of cable.

Hi if i nail one end of the wire to a joist and then twist would that do the trick?

Unfortunately i have used existing holes in joists (16mm) i reckon and there is not much room for manouvre (aka twisting).

Am going to untwist - but will there be any further damage to the cable caused by untwisting?

Cables have a minimum bending radius. Any bends sharper than that might cause damage by stretching the copper and reducing it's diameter. Sharp kinks if tugged straight can weakened the copper conductors.

Insulation can be damaged when the twisted cable is pulled through holes with jagged edges and this damage often goes unseen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back